1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rhino Repo

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Craig Walters, May 21, 2020.

1. Craig Walters

Craig Walters New Member

Hi all. I have a fibreglass repo rhino and would like to know the best paint schedule or even what paints to use. I don’t want that glossy fibreglass fake look is there preferred paint like pastels maybe or something? And what colours should I use. at present is just a plain white gel coat. Thanks in advance

2. Randy Curtis

Randy Curtis New Member

Hello Craig. I also have a repo rhino to do. Have you had any success on paint and colors? If so could you share them?

Thanks
    Randy Curtis

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Well, first off, the country and place of origin need to be established. These big guys dust themselves in the African dirt. If it's from the red sand/red clay areas, you skin is going to take on a tan/brown appearance. If it comes from the plains area, their natural color is gray. I always painted my repros gray with a semi-gloss paint (you can make your paint flat or semi gloss by adding unscented talcum to your paint jar. Once painted, I used Payne's Gray, sometimes mixing a bit of Yox Black for accenting, definition, or shading just to add some distraction of a rather bland looking animal. For the red variety, I still painted it gray but would add Sierra Brown shading to give it that dirt look.

Gray Ghost Safaris and msestak like this.
  4. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Craig, your best choice of paint for your repo would be regular flat interior house paint. Prep your part by buffing with 0000 brass wool then wiping down with acetone. You then prime with rattle can primer, not primer surfacer which is much thicker and meant to build up and cover fine detail. It comes in various colors but look for more suitable colors in the camo section. You flatten paint with corn starch which dissolves completely unlike talcum powder. Mix your primers to give yourself a good molded base color. You then thin your house paint down to a transparent wash that is applied over the primer via different application methods ie: airbrush, flat brush or my choice a piece of hand towel. With house paint, you can get different degree's of color density yet remain in the same hue range. Fine color detailing can be done with the same methods mentioned above. When you have completed all your paint application, your final step would be your dusting for realism. I use the powder from cutting MDF fiberboard. Section off your mount and spray flat rattle can poly over your paint. While wet, dust with the MDF powder and press with a paper towel. Do this wherever you want the dirty appearance. Let it dry, and you can then blow or brush off what you don't want to remain. With your head dusted, now spray over the powder with your flat poly or lacquer. This will bond your dusting to the head and add a very realistic interoperation of a dusted dirty animal. Good luck, and I hope this helps!

PS, here is a Warthog using the dusting method Southern Warthog WR.jpg

drob, Keith, Museum Man and 4 others like this.
  5. Gray Ghost Safaris

Gray Ghost Safaris Hunting Consultant

PS, here is a Warthog using the dusting method View attachment 229922 [/QUOTE]
    Outstanding work crablover. What a pig should look like!

6. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Really nice job

7. crablover

Thanks so much guy's. Here is a Rhino repo I did over 20 years ago. Other than the typical log in info I can't remember who I got the form from. I do have my paint list info colors and all the paint used was flat interior latex. Hope this helps 83857-Rhino-1-WR.jpg

drob likes this.
  8. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

Jonas paint work well for rhino's. They have a paint schedule also.

9. nswiken

nswiken Well-Known Member

I can't resist, and I know what you are meaning.

Repo - repossessed
    Repro - reproduction.

I wouldn't want a repossessed rhino, as it would either be a stinking, hornless carcass
    or a grumpy, live one. ;)

Bill Dishman likes this.
  10. crablover

MMan, It is very possible now that you mentioned Jonas, I might have got it from Carl Pepi when Jonas Studio was in Mt. Vernon. I did bird work for them and spent great times with Carl and Sinclair Clark while Sinclair was working there. I know they were molding off true skin mounts, then duplicating in glass. They had also done a Walrus and some large Seals