1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rabbits Feet

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Techgenius, May 23, 2020.

1. Techgenius

Techgenius New Member

So some back story, a few weeks ago i found half of a rabbit by the highway near my place, of course i took it home, cut off the feet and i currently have the bones sitting in water and laundry detergent. The feet me and a friend wanted to make keychains and necklaces with them. Soaked them in hydrogen peroxide for 48 hours then borax for 24 as a few videos and forums have stated. Sadly we didnt catch onto the percentage and it was way lower than it needed. Fur was falling out and comming off in chunks. We decided to go buy Isopropyl (i could only find 99% but diluted it a tad with water since i hear 70% is best). After 50 hours theyre a bit more stiff but still falling apart a tad. They had their borax and water bath for 24 hours and nothings changed.
    They are probably way over worked and i dont know if its safe to let them dry out and keep them as is or if i can burry them in borax and have some form of a typical rabbits foot.

First time doing anything with alcohols so this is definitely a learning curve. Any info helps since i get mixed opinions between each source
    Update: My issue has been solved, thank you.
    https://solitaire.onl/ https://9apps.ooo/

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Most rabbit feet you buy are either fake or freeze dried. By your editorial , you went wrong from the start . Next time cut them off and through them in the freezer for a year , you be better off

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As above. You should have just soaked them in alcohol for a while to preserve them. Water and all the other nonsense has just caused them to rot. If they don't smell of decay. Take them out and just stuff them in the freezer and leave them there until they are all dried out. Rabbits are not bright and I'm sure you will find another. Take the fresh feet and soak/inject with alcohol and then freeze until they are all dried out. The only purpose to the borax is to keep bugs from eating them. And your alcohol is fine, don't add water to it.

Last edited: May 23, 2020