1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degrease Hippo Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by tex1, May 23, 2020 at 9:01 AM.

1. tex1

tex1 Member

I have a hippo skull that was cleaned never degreased and stuck in storage for 8 years while waiting import. Most tusks come out a few don't and are cracked. I am worried about damaging them more by degreasing with water and dawn. not sure if I should try white gas. also is there any treatment I can give tusks to help from cracking more? such as coat with Vaseline or other? Thank you !!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As on your other post. The teeth should not need degreasing. They may be dirty though. Wash them in soapy water with some ammonia added. Do NOT soak them. If you are just going to store them, use the wipe down with Crisco. For the cracked ones, you might want to look into sealing them with paraloid B72. It will help seal the inner surfaces and prevent any further swings of humidity. In storage for 8 years in unknown heat conditions damaged your teeth. Hopefully, in your home environment, things will be stable and no further damage will occur. Would love to see a picture of it.