1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Complete Skeleton Of A Conger Conger

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by French taxidermy, May 23, 2020 at 12:05 PM.

1. French taxidermy

French taxidermy New Member

Hi everyone,

First I m French so I m sorry for my potential bad English...
    Yesterday morning I was on the beach and I have tame a dead conger conger (I use the scientific name because I don't know the English one)...
    I need your help because I want to do a entire reconstitution of is skeleton...
    Can you help me because I have read that fish are pretty difficult to do...
    Thanks and now I wait for your return...
    Just I have forget ... he is (for the moment in the water but I can move it because I not sure that is good. .

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Oh la vache ! that will be a lot of work. French is not an issue, all bones are the same. :) Can you place in a freezer for now? The best person to talk to here is Jean-Christophe https://www.taxidermy.net/members/25828/
    His work with fish is astonishing. He can best tell you how to make it in sections so the bones are easier to keep in order. You will have so many bones.:eek:

3. French taxidermy

Actually I can't put him in the freezer because my parents won't be agree ... I have sent a private message to Jean Christophe because I have seen that he was one of the most qualified for fish and especially conger...
    I m waiting for his response in French
    For the skeleton I have seen that Jean Christophe put them in a water maceration and it appears to be a cold one so I m a little bit surprised... thanks for your return I m waiting for the pro (and I hope that he is coming soon because the decomposition have begun... and I don't want to do any mistakes...)

4. French taxidermy

Because he haven't be seen since a long time

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

What you could do in the meantime, to help preserve it, would be to carefully remove the skin but leave all fins intact. Remove as much flesh as possible and internal organs but to not damage any bone. Bone in these can be as thin as hair so you must be careful. Do not remove the gills. After you have reduced the flesh as much as you can, use salt liberally, and allow it to dry. Salt will repel a lot of insects, remove moisture quickly and help to preserve it. When you go to macerate this, after a soak in water for a day, the salt will be removed. You do not want it to start decomposing just yet. When you do start maceration, warmed water works best and faster. A small heater for aquariums will work. In the meantime, read all of the posts you can from Jean Christophe and Vkvz on here for any information that will help. Both have discussed what they do and how.

The tail section, without ribs has structure like this.
    [​IMG]

6. French taxidermy

If i do it, it's gonna be beautiful... Thanks for the return I'm gonna work on it today. Jean Christophe have said that I have to do the jaw with my hand and the rest in maceration

7. As specified in pm, after removing jaws and gill apparatus you can macerate the skull. But for body and fines, they need to stay as much as possible ligamentary, so hours of scraping to expect... (exept for people with access to beetles).

8. French taxidermy

I suppose that it's not usefull to begin a colony now ? Even if i'm gonna done a lot of fish skeleton also big one like Silurus glanis... I have read other post about beetles and their consomation but i have also read the method of population regulation of the museum of the university of Michigan and i think that it may be possible

9. French taxidermy

Hi, little update...
    I have work 3 hours on it today...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    How I 'm suppose to do the separation ? How I cut and where ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    How is it ? Remember it's my first real one...
    Any observation ?