1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do You Turn Down Work Often?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by WestVirginiaBrent, May 29, 2020.

1. I shot a nuisance beaver, about 35 pounds, my first beaver so I texted my taxidermist to see what he'd charge to mount it and he told me he's so full that he's not taking in any more lifesize animals this year. I get it, I know he is right where he wants his business model to be and I know a beaver is a greasy pain in the ass but now I don't know what to do because he's the only great taxidermist in my vicinity.

Do you guys regularly do this as well? I'm going to call around to a few others in the state I know are good and hope one will take it but I was definitely surprised when he turned down the business.

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Freeze it take it to him when his work load caught up. Want to know the best way to keep it froze you can call and ask your taxidermist. My self I find in a plastic garbage bag get all the air you can out the into a paper bag.

Sea Wolf likes this.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I turn down pets and chickens often.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As above. Stash it until he can work on it for you. I will get backed up enough that my wait time for a finished piece begins to get really long. I have many who are willing to wait and I just have them hold their trophy and then call them to bring it in to me. Saves on my storage space.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If a taxidermist didn't turn away work at some point, they would end up like my buddy who now has a five year turn around time. I can't imagine waiting five years to see my trophy.

6. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

He should raise his prices and scare away a lot of his customers and have a 1 year turn around time .... and make more money.

:) :) :)

Kerby...

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

That's what I told him too. Problem was, he raised the prices a lot all at once and it didn't even slow the stream of incoming work down at all. When you go from an $1,100 elk head to a 1,700 elk head in one year, you'd think it would have some effect, but nope! I think he is well over $2,000 now.

msestak likes this.
  8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yes I take 60 pcs a year in only , that said I don’t do birds or fish so it’s all mammals, but I will stop taking them in or I will take it in if it’s a real old good client and it will be number 1 the following year , but that happens very few times .

rogerswildlife and msestak like this.
  9. Least he's honest ,nothing worse than a taxidermist with too much work to handle ,I've heard of a taxidermist by me with a two and a half year turnaround

10. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

In five years that 18" neck 8 point deer will be 23" and a dozen or more points and the guy will swear you cheated him out of his deer! Those deer heads have a way of growing after they are dead somehow.

An old guy up in the boonies once told me the best thing to do when someone brought you a deer to mount is to make a big deal out of it and tell them you have got to get a photo of them holding it up by the rack right in front of them. (They never refused this opportunity) Then when they come to get it and claim it isn't theirs he pulls out the picture to compare it. Back in his day he had to use a polaroid camera. Today it is easier, faster, and cheaper to use a digital and store it on your computer.

11. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I turn work down almost daily. Everyone wants a hawk, owl or song bird mounted. I get calls on road kill foxes and bobcats, too. Of course, it is California.......

12. If this was 8 years ago he wouldn't have turned me down, but sadly I haven't killed a deer worth mounting since 2012, I gave him a lot of business until I decided it had to be a monster deer to go on my wall, lol. I have the freezer space currently and about 5 more beavers to take out, so I'll figure it out. On a side note, beavers are some tough animals, hard workers too, I have dismantled their dam several times and they rebuild that damned dam in a hurry.

13. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    Unless I change my mind by October, I'm going to game heads only. Gonna eliminate most of my pain in the ass customers. Added on to my processing bussiness which is far better money anyway.

Richard C and drob like this.
  14. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I try to never have over a one year turn-around. Usually that's something like a stinking alligator or a bear that got hung up at a tannery for 8 months...or more. I mount around 500 pieces annually mostly by myself. That's everything from antlers to skulls to gameheads, mammals, fish, birds...and whatever else. I'd retire, but my wife won't let me, LOL!

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  15. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

That’s because she doesn’t want to deal with you around the house all day!!!

16. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Cats, dogs, fish, tortoises (some 70pounds) yesterday was a roadkill bear(Nope, Nope, Nope) have to educate people here on no tags, no mounting. And yeah the hawks and owl thing is monthly. A person could make a heck of a living mount Fido and fifi. Had one guy in tears begging me and price was not an object.
    I skinned out a tiger that died from kidney failure once. I had to wear a painting respirator it was so vile inside. Don’t want to mount anything like that.

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

And no pin-feathered ducks???? Geez, you guys are slipping. I've turned away face shot deer, cut throat deer, all pets, 99% of roadkills (The state was my biggest pest with roadkilled otters, coyotes, beavers and foxes.) I had a few people that I turned down because of bad history and a few more because they were pricks I simply didn't want to deal with.

GWebb, pir^2h, rogerswildlife and 5 others like this.
  18. mhacker89

mhacker89 New Member

Pets, small birds and I always instantly turn down a customer if they start trying to get me to lower my price. That is just something I cant stand.

rogerswildlife likes this.
  19. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Yes we turn away work all the time. I always keep our turnaround at 12 mos or less . I don't do any fish, pets, small game like squirrels anymore.

BrookeSFD16 and rogerswildlife like this.
  20. Tanglewood Taxidermy

My buddy mounted a huge record book brown bear for a guy. It took about five and a half years as per his turn around time. They guy died six weeks before my buddy called to tell him it was done. Hunt of a life time and he didn't get to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

His wife said she didn't want it,so he got stuck with it with only the deposit.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Mike Powell and rogerswildlife like this.