1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do You Turn Down Work Often?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by WestVirginiaBrent, May 29, 2020.

1. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I said no way on a life size horse. people seem to think the smaller the animal the cheaper it should be. HA!
    there are things that I will lower the price on. That’s little kids. That one mount can possibly change their life. It did me. I’ve got a little girl coming in with her pet parakeet. She has such a sweet mom. I told the mom I didn’t know if it was mountable because it was not frozen. The little girl had her bird in a box and slept with it next to her. So it’s in her freezer and when I TRY to mount it it will go from the freezer and into alcohol to thaw.
    Sometimes it depends on my mood. A guy called with a bearded dragon to mount and I said no. I’ve mounted snakes but I just didn’t want to do it. George you are correct about pin feathered birds.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I believe that would be headed to a freeze dry machine

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

ha in Minnesota if I turned diwn pin feathered ducks I would have no work... you just learn to turn them into calender birds.... dont do road kills unless I know the person and weather cool and its fresh... no lizards or pets except turtles no rats mice and no bobcats severly alergic..... and no turkeys

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Pin feathered birds, I hardly know what it is like to mount birds without them, other than turkeys. I don't typically turn down work so to speak but on mounts that I don't care to do, I quote an amount and turn around so high and long that 8 times out of 10 they turn and run and those 2 that don't, I make good money and work on it when I can fit it in.

5. So I called the only other taxidermist I would take it to in my area and he's not taking anything until fall as well, but he did say freeze it and hold on to it until he clears some stuff out. I'm thinking I'm going to freeze 2, try and mount the first one myself and if that fails I'll take the 2nd one to a taxidermist. :)

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I hate to say it as sometimes the harsh truth insults friends, but this guy deserved to get stuck with it. In this case, 5 years was a virtual lifetime and it could well have been the other way around. Some years back we had a guy here in Dover commit suicide after he was about 4 years backlogged. His wife was really in a jam as he (they, like MOST taxidermists) had spent the deposit money. The late J.R. Campbell and I went to her, took what supplies he'd had, and mounted all of his stuff for the payments due to get her out of a fix. For every mount I did, I wanted to dig him up and strangle him for leaving such a burden on his wife. If you are taking over a year to do your work, you're (1) charging too little, (2) don't have sense enough to know when to stop taking stuff in, or (3) should never be in business to begin with. Too many things can take place within long time frames. The work you do is not only a LUXURY, it has a shelf-life. Clients may take bigger and better animals in that time frame and can find someone with a better turn-around time they go to, often refusing to pick up the work you dawdled with.

7. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

George at 70 I know anything can happen at any time with life. That’s a big concern is what happens if tomorrow its over? What kind of mess am I leaving behind?
    For two different years at our state show they were auctioning off a taxidermists life. Forms, tools etc.
    I thought this is this what our life’s work comes down to? Sadly in many cases it is.

8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Google West Virginia Taxidermy Association , call the president of the association and ask who they would recommend in your area . Tell him you are looking for a great award winning taxidermist not just a good one , and he will give you a list of a few I’m sure .

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You're spot on here George. I suggested turning down all new customers, but I think the fear of work potentially drying up if they went elsewhere may have been too great for him.

It's mind boggling that a customer would be ok with a large price tag AND a five year wait. He is an awesome taxidermist that does commercial taxidermy with award winner quality, so I guess the customers that use him have a lot time and money to spend.

For me, the only thing that went over a year at times was bear rugs. Everything else was less than a year, usually 8 months. I charged quite a bit and took in only enough to get done with in a year and was busy there full time six and a half days a week all year long.

George likes this.