1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Splake Painting

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by fishtech2029, May 30, 2020.

1. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

Has anyone painted splake I’m looking for the schedule for it or can I use the brook trout one thanks

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Look at your references and you can see that their very close to a brookie. So now paint what’s in your references and leave bout the colors you don’t see.
    Reference is the only key to painting fish. Paint schedules are a waste of time as it only gives you colors that might be or not even be seen on your fish.
    Learn to look at references in smaller areas instead of looking at whole fish. Break down what you see and paint on a blank sheet and go from there

fishtech2029 and Beltonbanger like this.

3. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

Ok thanks that’s what I thought but wasn’t sure I’ll try that

4. jimss

jimss Active Member

I just bought Rick Krane's brookie video. His videos are incredible. The brookie video has several sections including setting brookie eyes, reference photos, and full painting video. I believe it's a great $25 investment! You can have incredible reference photos but the tricky part is figuring out which paint colors to use and what happens when you paint one color over another. The learning curve is super high especially on fish similar to brookies where there are so many colors and variations from one fish to the next.

fishtech2029 likes this.
  5. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

your right theres a lot of colors on the fish I just have to make sure of the right ones

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You're right Frank but I find paint schedules aren't so bad for someone just starting out. Kind of like training wheels for kid first learning to ride a bike.

fishtech2029, JL and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  7. Frank E. Kotula

Those of you who are having a tough time figuring out colors buy a color wheel at your local art store .
    From just that wheel you should be able to mix any color you want.
    Yes these are just the primary colors with black and white for different tones and values. Just by using our different paints we use you’ll see and figure out color adjustments.
    To be sure of your color after mixing, just spray a little on a white paper.
    If your going to get into fish taxidermy it’s imperative to learn this and not depend on taxidermy companies to come up with colors that won’t sell cause it may take layers of different paint to get your needs and not just a bottle of paint mixed.
    Make it fun and not just a job and you’ll enjoy mixing and layering paint

Sotired and fishtech2029 like this.
  8. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

A Splake is a cross between a brook trout and a lake trout and these fish vary in color depending on the waters the came from. Without seeing your fish or the references you have of it I would lean towards the color of the lake trout and lightly mist the brook trout colors over this. Few splake trout are caught in brook trout waters so you'll be safe favoring the laker color.Just my opinion.Good luck, JL

fishtech2029 likes this.
  9. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

THANKS FOR THE INFO JL THE FISH looks like a laker with dark colors on top and the side with a nice yellow orange on the side and part of the belly . and also a lot of yellow spots with some red on it not sure how im going to layer the colors but I think you got something im going to look into thanks

10. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Look at your reference ie real life pics
    And define the first layer then build up from what you see
    Zoom in really close to pics
    Look at each scale in differnt areas
    As the old saying goes you can’t see the forest for the trees
    Zero in on very defined areas
    Those colors that really stand out are usually your last ones to apply

fishtech2029 likes this.
  11. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

thanks for the info clew im going too see what needs to be done I have pictures that I took myself before I skinned it out

12. Frank E. Kotula

Those pic you took of a dead is going to be what your going to paint , A DEAD FISH!!
    There ok for a bit of reference to aid in spot patterns if needed when dry but the colors will be totally different on a live fish. So get reference like that to paint.
    Now here’s just the opposite of me saying that as I had a client bring me a brook trout ( vacuum sealed) that shower awesome post spawning colors. Talk about exciting and said YA CANT WAIT TO PAINT THIS FISH!!!
    Then he gave me a disk with his live reference. I was like what happened as a general rule fish loose their colors and this one gained them. No bright red orange side like they do but a dull mauve look with whiteish yellow spots lol. So as we say it can happen but always use live reference.
    Ps , he wants it done in those crappie colors lol

JL and fishtech2029 like this.
  13. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

He gave me a picture of the fish that’s what I’m talking about frank and yes it was the colours that he was excited about and that’s what he wants to see the fish means nothing so that’s why I want to do a good job for him the picture that I posted on the friends of taxidermy was the fish. I took it of because of some comments on there to many pros that don’t encourage people like myself instead they are rude people. I like your comments because you are straight to the point. And willing to help thanks for that

JL likes this.
  14. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

fishtech2029 I know what you mean about the people in some Facebook groups, however there are still a lot that are willing to share and encourage newbies. As Frank said, a color wheel helps a lot, as would art classes in something like watercolors, which are transparent and help you to understand layering transparent colors to get a new result.

Admittedly, I may be one of those that came across as rude, since i don't really like paint schedules, especially for trout. Trout show way too much variation for a set paint schedule! To grow as a fish taxidermist, you will need the skill of seeing color and patterns from the real fish. It may be hard, but all skills are! This will help to set you apart from others.

Painting a fish, any fish, is so much more than a recipe with exact amounts and ingredients. So much comes from your own observational skills, and willingness to experiment. Remember, it's only paint! You can always strip it off and start again! Have fun learning!

~S

JL and fishtech2029 like this.
  15. Clew

York, SC
    As I said Real life pics
    I agree with frank
    Real life photos are great
    Like a largemouth bass
    You can catch one and you see very few spot pattern
    Throw him in a bucket and ten minutes you will have the well known bass pattern appear

16. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

sotired I know what your saying about thet facebook stuff some was good advice but others were not ive got a color wheel and yes I took art in high school I also have done landscape painting over the years and yes practice makes perfect I have a long way to go. that's why I ask questions on here I just want too do a good job for the guy because he has 2 more he wants to do . this is my start in this im looking forward to doing more this summer but I need to get my name out there thanks for the help fishtech2020

17. Clew

York, SC
    Use your reference
    And use finite details from it
    From what you said about past painting
    You got this licked

JL likes this.
  18. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

I hope so clew except landscape painting and fish are different painting but the layering and blending are the same the problem with me is I need to make that first step to get my feet wet then its all down hill from there . im going to paint it this weekend and I hope it works !!!!!!!!!!

19. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

Don’t get to stressed about it. You can always strip it and start over. Enjoy and good luck!

20. jimss

jimss Active Member

If you want to save yourself a lot of time and frustration buy both Rick Kranes brookie and laker videos. He goes through each step by step. It's pretty much a guessing game and trial and error without these videos to get you started! It will all make a lot of sense once you do a couple and find out what colors in what order, layers, etc. to achieve the final results. You will learn more in these videos than you will in months of trying things on your own! He also goes through different color variations, color phases, reference photos, etc in great detail. Believe me it's a great investment of both time and $! You can buy the video streams that are immediately available and save freight and time.

Brookie video: http://anglersartistry.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=52
    Laker video: http://anglersartistry.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=52

Lance.G likes this.