1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mustang Pony

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Eliana Rose, May 30, 2020.

1. Eliana Rose

Eliana Rose New Member

I've got a full skin of a younger paint mustang horse, 5-6ft long, about to be tanned. I bought it already fleshed and salted from someone. No carcass measurements or anything... Where would you start? I am comfortable with making wrapped exelsior bodies with wire frames for my smaller mammals, and foam carved or cast heads, but is this probably too big to use that method? Thinking I would carve the head from foam and sculpt details onto. I know this would be a very difficult project. Is it impossible to get right? I have been around horses my whole life, and always drawing them, so horse anatomy is something I'm extremely familiar with. But the biggest lifesize I ever mounted was only a coyote, deer fawn and some foxes. Any tips or advice for this project would be greatly appreciated! Its a beautiful pony and I would love to do something awesome with it. Once it is all tanned and stretched, how would I measure it to try and make the form? Thanks so much.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’d find a place that has horses approximately the same size and ask to take live measurements and pictures from one that is close to the measurements you already have from the hide . Then I’d find a cheap older L/S form that’s close , don’t wouldn’t matter what it was , but a zeabra would be close and I would start cutting, widdling and altering to make it work .

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You can do a wrapped mannequin but consider the weight. Make a base armature of steel rod. Possibly even a pieced together basic shape with sturdy plywood, screws and metal plates to support your wire and wrapping. You would need someone to weld the steel rod for you.

Somewhat like this but you get the idea. This is a link to a very old taxidermy book online where a buffalo is used. https://www.gutenberg.org/files/40109/40109-h/40109-h.htm#CHAPTER_XVIII

Someone elses deer project.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  4. Eliana Rose

Eliana Rose New Member

Thank you, it shouldn't be hard to find someone with foals around here. I was looking at a baby zebra form on Van Dykes.

5. Eliana Rose

Eliana Rose New Member

Thank you, excellent point on weight- I have a welder friend who could probably help me out with a frame. Those pictures are helpful! And very interesting book!

Last edited: May 30, 2020