1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Citric Acid Problems

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Claire Trickey, May 31, 2020.

1. Claire Trickey

Claire Trickey New Member

So, I am very new to tanning. But I have had nothing but trouble using citric acid. I am tanning with Lutan F.
    So, 3 oz of acid, 1 pound non iodized salt, 1 gallon of hot water. I make up the solution and it reads 2.4. Next day it’s reading 3.8. It won’t go down no matter what I do. If I more citric acid, the oh will spike or won’t change. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps I should Consider other pickle solutions, but I wanted to use the safest things I could in my shop because I have reptiles in here.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok let’s look at a few things here as I use citric a lot on bears.
    I don’t use hot water to mix my pickles cause the pH can be different than cool water but my acid is 1.5 so you might want to try 1 1/2 oz per gallon.
    Now your capes are added so this is where your pH is going up and your having issues.
    Look at the way your capes are handled.
    Are they well fleshed, hydrated properly, rinsed of blood and any other matter that might be on it.
    Are you fleshing with borax?
    We need to know every step your taking to see where you might be getting issues. I would think it’s with your capes and how their handled. I’ve never ran into this problem using citric but I know how my capes are done.
    let us know so we can get to the bottom

3. We have used citric at times when our supplier dropped the ball on our formic. 3 Oz. per gallon on an 8-1 float should hold the pH just fine, if it doesn't you likely have one of the issues Frank mentioned. Too low of a float ratio will stress your acid too.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Keith problem solved , we talked on the phone, got the process down and it was the pH meter that was off .

5. Meters do need calibrated on a regular basis! Glad you guys got it figured out.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.