1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Preserving A Hare With Borax?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by JuanMaddox, Jun 2, 2020.

1. JuanMaddox

JuanMaddox New Member

Complete newbie here, done a few garden birds, but not a mammal. I was reading on a thread on taxiderming rabbits that you can still use borax, and one member recommended soaking the skin in a borax solution. Can anyone broaden on this, what ratio borax to water!! How long to soak for, and do i just pat dry it to put on my form.omegle xender

Any help is greatly received. Thank you

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    1 cup per gallon of water. You can add alum which will help preserve can be bought at the grocery store in the spice aisle . Blow dry the fur before mounting works best for me. Be sure to flesh the hide very well. I dont recommend a rabbit for your first mammal. There very thinned skin ears are not that easy to turn. Good luck

I forgot 12 to 24 hours in soak

3. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I use an old Leon Pray formula of 9 parts borax ,1 part alum dry mix and then use 4 ounces, or four hand grabs, of this mix per gallon of water. Just a slight variation of your method. I use this for all birds, fish, and small animals.

RoeBuck and Fallenscale like this.