1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mallard Duck Bill And Feet Color

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by LostNewbie, Jun 6, 2020.

1. LostNewbie

LostNewbie Member

I haven't started mounting the mallard duck yet, but I have began to prepare the artificial head. I have found that normal acrylic paints don't adhere to the resin/plastic duck head, and when trying spray paints, they either sloughed off or gave a grainy or shiny look to it. The colors are also very difficult to match. Does anyone have any suggestions on a brand of paint that adheres well to artificial duck heads and real duck feet, as well as a specific color (I'm working with a drake mallard). I don't have access to airbrush and I don't want brush strokes visible on the bill. I guess dipping the bill in paint might get an even coating?

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

You have to strip off the mold release from the head before painting. Squirt it with laquer thinner and rub it with paper towels or an old sock. Then you'll want to prime it, or seal it with some matte sealer out of a rattle can before you start painting.

LostNewbie likes this.

3. LostNewbie

LostNewbie Member

Will do! Thank you so much. Is there a specific brand of paint you would recommend, as well as colors?

4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I use an airbrush with laquer paints.

As far as colors, just paint what you see. Pick a reference pic and try and reproduce it.

LostNewbie likes this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You have :
    Soap and water that will clean the bill
    Acetone is actually better to use than lacquer thinner but remember it’s hazardous
    Now your local auto stores like pep boys sell a spray that you can use to aid you in paint adhering to the plastic.
    If your using waterbase paints and painting by hand there are products sold at your local art stores ( Michaels etc) that sell different products so you don’t get brush stokes.
    Do a little research before you get into this and learn what you need as far as products for your needs. Art stores are a great place to go to even take a class as most are free or very cheap for classes. It’ll aid you better

LostNewbie likes this.