1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dyeing/bleaching Feathers White

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Trapper2016, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about trying to do a more realistic toucan/crow mount this winter and am trying to think out the best way to do this. I searched the forums and found a few helpful ideas but nothing really solid. Has anyone ever had any luck dyeing/bleaching black feathers white? And if so can you please tell me what product you used to achieve the look? I have heard some mention using a mixutre of ammonia and peroxide but not really sure how that turned out. I would appreciate any ideas or success methods.

Have a great weekend
    Chris

2. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

Bleach is hard on feathers ... Might work if you find the right ratio of bleach to h20 ..
    I've used it on snow geese and it takes blood staining out but it's sketchy doing it without ruining feathers ...

Trapper2016 likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Everything I have tried in doing exactly what you are wanting to do, have ended in failure. So, My toucrow is all black.

Trapper2016 likes this.
  4. Trapper2016

Thanks for the replies and information. Maybe ill get luck an kill an albino crow one day and i can go from there :).

Have a great weekend
    Chris

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

use a piece of skin from a white pigeon and sew in place

Attached Files:

magicmick, LostNewbie and Trapper2016 like this.
  6. byrdman

albino crows pretty common here have a pair and a couple young in backyard a few more in neighborhood lots of black squirrels too and white ones and some wierd brown ones

Attached Files:

magicmick and Trapper2016 like this.
  7. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

What nuclear plant is in your backyard??

magicmick likes this.
  8. byrdman

just an old landfill thats buried with lots of vent pipes sticking up so who knows whats buried there .... there is a boundry right by my house where indians had to camp as they were not allowed into town maybe a spiritual site

magicmick likes this.
  9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

We have some piebald crows here from time to time along with a few piebald deer.

Trapper2016 likes this.
  10. Trapper2016

Thats awesome. I would love to get a piebald crow. We have lots of them but always black in my area.

11. Albino birds usually don't fair well in the wild, i have only seen two a magpie and a Kookaburra,you guys are lucky.