1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

White Fur Turned Yellow In Pickle

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by dhertzog, Jun 10, 2020.

1. dhertzog

dhertzog New Member

I had a couple white/black feeder rats that I skinned recently and threw the skins in a pickle (ultimate acid from McKenzie)....the white fur on all of them turned yellow...and idea why and any ideas on how to turn them back white again? Thanks!

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yep once dried they’ll turn white again. It’s the underlying fur that makes it look this way, happens a lot with mammals.

msestak likes this.

3. I've had the same thing happen on feeder rats, they ended up an eggy yellow colour, it was really weird. Ended up having to use fur bleach on them.

They were fleshed but I wondered if something was off with that pickle batch, though it only happened to two rats out of hundreds

4. Arhianna

Arhianna Member

Did you use non iodized salt? If you used iodized, maybe that would stain white hair? I definitely don't know, just an idea.

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Hard water will do it also . Iron

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Iodized salt will not have an effect on the color of the hair. I have used iodized salt many times on white haired critters and never had any problems.

I tend to agree with Frank on this one.