1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Apologies To Customers Of Mckenzie

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Jun 11, 2020.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I want to apologize to all of you who griped about the excessive pricing from McKenzie. Now that I no longer run a shop, I still find myself in need of supplies that I know can be found at McKenzie. Silly me, as I wasnt ordering several hundred dollars (or thousands) where I seldom noticed shipping, I placed an order. The order was several hangers and a tube containing 20 #12 guage wires. The 2 inch tube and a box (4x4x8 with a dozen small hangers) arrived from Camp Hill, PA (a 139 mile trip from here) arrived the next day UPS. Total cost of the merchandise (which may have weighed 5 pounds) was $41.53. Then I looked at my bill. Stickershock. It listed "Freight" as $56.83 .
    At the same time, I placed an order for 2 black buckskin hides from Quil Ceda Leather in Marysville, WA. That package (3x6x9) was sent USPS Second Day Priority. The box weighed about 2 pounds. It arrived today (one day after the McKenzie order). The shipping cost was $16 ($14.90 postage, $1.10 for packing and handling). Marysville, Washington is 2,855 miles from my home in Delaware. I'm pretty sure I can't dive there for $16.
    BUYER BEWARE!

Attached Files:

2. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yes I ordered 3 sets of squirrel eyes from WASCO the only place you can buy the acrylics, some reason they sent them ups ,12 dollars to ship,got them in 3 days but mail would've been cheaper I'm thinking.

3. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

HaHaHa join the growing crowd...I just ordered a fake chitty looking log, came in a reg McKenzie box might of weighed 12 pounds. $84.00 for the fake ugly looking poorly prepped log, paint coming off bubbled splitting painted log. $35.88 shipping (WTF) from PA. to DE. Broken edges, wrapped, boxed and shipped that way from their PA. facility. No pieces in box or any paint flakes so boxed wrapped and shipped that way, PATHETIC. Maybe no big deal for some of you high dollar Big time taxidermist just paint it cover it up, BullShit. I did not pay that much for how and what I received. It's just about every time I can complain about SOMETHING WRONG, broken beat up forms, fake looking habitat and very high shipping cost, can't tell me they can't get a shipping deal with UPS or FED-EX, etc. I have some NON-USABLE habitat, cactus, pine branches, grasses that are so plastic fake looking it's almost funny.
    They are replacing the log (THANK YOU) , but don't know why I'm even using it, so fake looking. Just pisses me off and it's not getting any better or cheaper. If it wasn't for the customer picking out what he wanted I would not be using it, that's a guarantee.

P1020970.JPG P1020974.JPG P1020976.JPG

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    rogerswildlife likes this.
  4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Taxidermy By..... order right from them in Europe

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Mckenzie pulls the BS when you order asks you how you want shipped but no price...."will be calculated later" which is bull they know what every product weighs and size plus your zip code.... simple E-chart will calculate shipping BEFORE you commit to buy and give CC info.... I have taken unopened boxes right to post office and had them figure shipping back to sender..... eye opener

tviper56, Sleepyhollow and LostNewbie like this.
  6. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

isnt there a law against this type of thing ? if they are overcharging what the shipper charges them, how is that legal ?
    or is it being done because they bought the majority of the supply companies !!

SteveM and LostNewbie like this.
  7. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

HANDLING HANDLING HANDLING, Boxes , bubble wrap and time for the guy running around with his head up his ass trying to figure out what next.

107989665_-problem-is-obvious-funny-t-shirt-all-adult-sizes-and- - Copy.jpg

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When my customers paid for shipping, I included stuff for myself in the order and it was not noticeable. Now that I'm retired, I'm starting to want to get some of my stuff done, but rethinking what I want to do because shipping is really expensive. I try to by locally everything I can. Not to many stores around my home town sells turkey bodies, except, Research Mannikins is 40 minutes away.

tviper56 and msestak like this.
  9. LostNewbie

LostNewbie Member

I'm just a newbie at taxidermy and I was lucky enough to come across a roadkill duck in excellent condition. I ordered an artificial head, body, a neck, wires, eyes, all for a total of $50. The box it all came in was 14x8, and the wires came in a tube. Shipping was, I kid you not, $40. And for a younger person like me who is just getting into taxidermy, this was unexpected and shameful on McKenzie's part, and I can barely afford to pay that, especially since they don't tell you the shipping before you pay. The box with the form and head weighed only about a pound. In total this one duck has cost me close to $150 in gathering supplies, of which an excess of $60 was shipping (I chipped the artificial head and had to order another, from MckKenzie, again). Is there a better website to order supplies from?

Show & Tell, Sleepyhollow and msestak like this.
  10. msestak

sounds like someone here should start a supply company and only charge the actual shipping rate. could put a hurt on mckrazyies and maybe make that person wealthy.

SteveM and LostNewbie like this.
  11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

They are all expensive and none will give you the price upfront, which is frustrating for sure. When you are in business your customer pays shipping, not so for the hobbiest. I wish they were more in line with other company catalogs, who are upfront with the shipping.

msestak and LostNewbie like this.
  12. I had been wanting to get into taxidermy for some time now, bit the bullet and decided to mount a squirrel a few years ago. I could not believe how much it cost for shipping. As you said, I wasn't buying bulk material or a lot of stuff. Literally only what I needed to mount that squirrel. My order total was over double once they added shipping. Makes it extremely hard to learn the art for a newbie like me who has a full time job, a growing family, and bills to pay. But that's life!

ARUsher, msestak and LostNewbie like this.
  13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Always request that small volume orders be shipped USPS. I recently ordered a dozen needles from Dixieland Taxidermy Supply. They mailed them in an envelope. Shipping was $1.00.

14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I always go USPS unless I need something quicker because I forgot to order something and that does help.

Tanit1 and msestak like this.
  15. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    You say your customers paid for the shipping. Did you quote a price to mount plus supplies and postage? I heard that very often on here customers pay for the shipping.

I know shipping cost hurt my bottom line. My basic way to figure a finest mount price is 5 x the cost of supplies but that doesn't include shipping or panels or bases

msestak likes this.
  16. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I would be glad to show you how to charge clients for the shipping and handling fees you incur. Please PM me and I'll teach you how. You will be doing a little homework so be prepared. Yes, my clients pay for my shipping and handling.

tviper56, George, Fallenscale and 2 others like this.
  17. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yes my fault never ask about shipping

msestak likes this.
  18. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Eventually McKenzie's shipping will come back to bite them in the a$$. They have great selection and their customer service is good but they are cutting their own throat with their outrageous shipping charges. Jim Allred supply is just about the same distance from me as McKenzie (in mileage and in the same shipping zone) but I pay about half for the same size boxes.

I have resorted to only buying from McKenzie if I can't find it anywhere else or if they are at a show and I get shipping free. The only way we can fight this is to buy from other suppliers and send them the message that we are tired of getting gouged.

19. Sometimes if you complain they will credit your account for shipping, last year I ordered a some supplies and one (yes 1) needle was shipped from a different warehouse in a box and they charged over 14.00 to ship that one needle. I complained and they credited my account but I should not have ever been charged that

Keith and msestak like this.
  20. msestak

just imagine the number of people that dont complain. as long as they keep getting away with it...they will continue this "legal" robbery.