1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pastels

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by fishtech2029, Jun 11, 2020.

1. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

I here a lot of you guys talking about pastels all the time I know what it is but does it take the place of some paints or to cover artificial heads and apoxie spot that are on the fish if its a must I would get some from an arts store.. im doing my splake this weekend and the head is artificial so whats the best way to blend it before I use the paint on it to finish it thanks for the help

socalmountainman likes this.
  2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Pastels are good
    But remember it’s what you use and how you use it
    I use cigar ashes in my fish eyes and makes beautiful eyes
    I use make up charcoal pigments
    Heck I would use a dried turd if it worked
    Your not locked down
    Water color pencils
    Ash
    Powders
    Paint it is how you apply the color

rogerswildlife and JL like this.

3. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

I think I got the wrong name for the stuff I think its pigment powder im looking for is it regular powder make up that you use or what??????

4. jimss

jimss Active Member

Look into Pearl Ex powders. They work fantastic. Derwent color pencils also work well. I often use pencils for "antiquing" reproductions. Scribble over the area desired and then take a damp paper towel and lightly tap the scribble marks. There are lots of options for adding different layers of colors. Take a look at some of Rick Krane's videos and you'll be amazed at what you can learn. The brookie video will be very similar to a splake. For scale tipping I often use liquid scales.

JL likes this.
  5. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Gotta be carful with pastels. They make things muddy real quick.

JL and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  6. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

The best way I found to darken the white reproduction heads is with charcoal powder. Using a soft brush you brush it on the head and blow or brush it to get a mottled look. It will darken the head and epoxy transition areas to match the skin more closely. I also use the charcoal powder for the markings on LM Bass and Stripers. You can actually buy it in jars from your art store. Just be careful not to spill it!
    x.jpg
    w.jpg

JL, Clew and Beltonbanger like this.
  7. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

Ok that’s not good but you’re right on the money I went to my camp and over to the burn pile for some and done exactly like you said. And it worked great if you were close I’d give you some to replace what you spilled thanks for the info

8. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

Ok that’s not good but you’re right on the money I went to my camp and over to the burn pile for some and done exactly like you said. And it worked great if you were close I’d give you some to replace what you spilled thanks for the info

9. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It’s a medium that is used in today’s taxidermy but it’s been around for yrs.
    Powders wether it’s metallic, pigments solid form etc can be used in many places where a lot of taxidermists find it hard to use an airbrush.
    The most important thing is to find the best you can get there. I don’t care what you use just get there. So use anything that works for you but also remember you don’t want it to look fake or muddy .

10. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

All types of powders can be mixed with liquid mediums like lacquer thinner, acetone and water and applied with an airbrush. Once applied and medium evaporates, you are left with a very even coat of powder that transparency can be controlled by the mix ratio. This method is great for blending and fine detail since it can be removed and manipulated in dry form. It is an excellent method to use with Pearl X powders since you have complete control of the mix ratio unlike application in dry form

11. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

First color the head to match the color of the dried skin and go from there.

12. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

Thanks jl I found a solution that worked well I got some charcoal from the burn pile at the camp and rubbed some on to blend the head worked really well and didn’t take a lot of paint to cover it there’s always a trick to the trade

JL likes this.
  13. Also try acrylic paint in a tube ,doesn't matter how heavy you put it on,a damp paper towel will take off what you don't need

14. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

Great info thanks

15. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

White out the whole thing. Bam! Problem solved

16. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 Member

Thanks for idea rich I have paint like that I have a salmon replica and speckled trout to do

17. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Play around with all mediums
    You can get some crazy effects
    Heck I’ll paint with mud if it works

fishtech2029 likes this.