1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Colouring Fading Antelope

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Gunable, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Gunable

Gunable New Member

So I’m brand spanking new to the site. just because I have a question. I have a antelope mount that has faded. I’m wondering if tan shoe polish might work to bring back the Color?
    Any other suggestions or procedures appreciated

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

What has faded? Hair? Horns? Paint on eyes, ears, nose?

3. Gunable

Gunable New Member

Hair. The tan and brown on nose
    Thanks

4. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Woman's hair dye

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Do you have that mount in front of a window or door , sounds like sunlight maybe the culprit, I agree with crablover

6. Gunable

Gunable New Member

It has been near a window years ago. I didn’t think it would affect it as it was small and above the mount.
    We just moved into a new place and would like to bring back the Color as it is a large specimen

7. old guy

old guy Member

I just finished 2,,,just like that for an old gas station,,hanging in the sun inside,,I used my airbrush with dark brown lacquer,,thin to the shade,,if you have too much,,wipe it off and texture,,,easy

8. donkeyman

donkeyman Member

yes I agree air brush / paint on the hair and thinned linseed on the horns

9. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Clearly, your choice on the color issue can be done a few different ways. IMO, an airbrush with any paint is a quick inappropriate way to solve the problem. Lacquer paint drys glossy, paint is not absorbed into the hair and will flake off easily just to mention a few issues with this method.