1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I Want To Become A Taxidermist

Discussion in 'Training' started by berlinpose2, Jun 12, 2020.

1. berlinpose2

berlinpose2 New Member

I’ve always been fascinated by taxidermy. I started off collecting animal bones then it quickly turned into buying taxidermy pieces secondhand. I recently found out about soft mount taxidermy and just commissioned one to be made for me. But looking at it, I thought, why couldn’t I do this? I’ve always thought about it but never considered actually going for it. I mean, why not? Why not make my passion a serious hobby? And soft mounts are expensive and a lot of people who make them are no longer taking new commissions. I could maybe start!

I’m not squeamish and I was actually going to school to work in forensics. I switched back to History and I’m planning on being a history teacher. I also work a full time job but I was thinking of teaching myself/asking my local shop if I could just watch them work and pay for some online classes. Then, if I like it and get good, I was going to rent a workspace and maybe take commissions.

Can anyone give me some advice or help if you are in OR?

I’m very passionate about this and I think I want to go for it. I’m a very hard worker, Already I balance full time school, full time work, and a two year old.
    192.168.0.1 routerlogin 192.168.l.l

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    rogerswildlife likes this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Don’t do it . Unless you can commit full time for a part time job

3. tobynitch

tobynitch New Member

I started a year ago, so I'm by no means a professional, but doing this as a hobby isn't impossible. I'm 18, one day while I was in highschool I just decided I'd go for it, so your plan's way better than mine was. I'm in college now and I make money doing art commissions to pay for it. As long as you have some spare cash and enough drive, you can do it. I watched youtube videos for a long time, asked alot of questions on here, and studied hundreds of threads and tutorials. My only tip from someone who's still new to this is to not be cheap with materials, and put a lot of time into each piece. The high quality stuff makes a huge difference, and spending the extra time grooming your mount and making sure everything is in place will pay off. Hopefully you enjoy doing it!

4. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    It’s great for a part time job if you like it
    I know the majority of guys in this business work hard and make a fair liviving
    But I also know with a good business plan proper advertising and good quality you can make a really good living
    I have several freinds that hasbo e well
    It’s all in what you put into it in a smart way
    I’ve always choose to keep mine part time
    I like doing it and don’t want it to turn into a dreaded job