1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Raccoon Head Mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Arhianna, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Arhianna

Arhianna Member

Hello,
    I am in the process of mounting a raccoon head and I'm having a hard time finding info on how to actually set the eyes(depth etc) and the ears (how to build up the eatbutts and where on the head they actually sit) I have ear liners and I'm not sure which is right and which one is left as they look similar and both look right when inserted into the ears. Thanks! This is my first mount so I really dont know what I'm doing lol

Attached Files:

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

My advice is to go to Taxidermy Training Unlimited and purchase the mounting and finishing of a raccoon DVD by award winning taxidermist Brian Harness.

3. countrycritter

countrycritter Active Member

Texas
    Forget the earliners and use bondo. On small critters I've used epoxy sculpt instead of bondo it just has a longer set up time but works very well.
    Google raccoon reference pics and see exactly where ear placement should be. Same for the eye depth. Use reference pics to make it look alive. Hope this helps.

4. Arhianna

Arhianna Member

Thanks for the info!

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  5. ARUsher

ARUsher Well-Known Member

I agree with Countrycritter. I didn't like the way the ears looked with those liners and believe I was able to get better looking ears with bondo.

6. Arhianna

Arhianna Member

Yeah, I don't think I would use them again for a small animal. They were a nightmare lol