1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pressure Wash Deer Capes For Mounting Vs Shaving Or Do Both

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tcliett, Jun 18, 2020.

1. tcliett

tcliett New Member

I would love to hear the pros and cons of fleshing deer capes by pressure washing. Do you still shave the capes afterwards? I know many of yall have WAY more experience than me. Could you share opinions and experiences?

2. both

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Both , don’t matter how you flesh it , water , push or whatever . But after it is in the process it should shaved thinner for tanning purposes

Keith likes this.
  4. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Cons: gooey Crap all over. Fat turns rancid and smells. If you have a dog they will eat it. If any lands on small rocks they eat them too. Bet bill ensues to remove rocks. If you get too close to to any small cut or eye it will become a large one. Took me twice to decide not to do it. Still trying to get dried gooey crap off my pickup that was 10 feet away.

5. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Rough flesh on beam, after tanning thin on round knife, final fleshing and fine tuning of face with dremel tool.

tcliett likes this.
  6. tcliett

tcliett New Member

Thank you.

7. tcliett

tcliett New Member

Lol about he truck.. have noticed it is messy but I have a good spot for it. Also noticed hole get larger. Thanks for your input.

8. tcliett

tcliett New Member

I have not seen the dremel tool used for this. Thanks for the tip.

9. bob watkins

bob watkins Member

use a turbo tip on your pressure washer

10. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    I do it on all capes, but it is more to remove blood from the cape. You get it on a vehicle and you'll need that same pressure washer to remove it.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have used the Dremel for face thinning and it worked great. I abandoned the practice because two downsides out weighed the positives for myself. Those two being very messy, slinging bits of leather all over and heat build up.

Still, it is not a bad way to go and Manny Chavez's Mounting A Mule Deer DVD from Taxidermy Training Unlimited goes over the procedure quite well. It also has a few tricks, if you mount mulies, that make the DVD worth the investment.