1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Washing Capes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tcliett, Jun 19, 2020.

1. tcliett

tcliett New Member

I have always used Lysol Concentrate to wash my capes to help kill bacteria. Since the COVID Crisis, stores are sold out of this brand. What is everyone else using to kill the bateria other than the stop rot?

Let me clarify also. I do not tan...wish I did but slows down the process unless yall have tips to share, I usually flesh, turn and Dry Preserve the hide but wash in Lysol to kill bacteria before re-freezing to mount later.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I wash all mine in Dawn dish soap prior to turning and fleshing the cape. Then into Krowtann.

tcliett and tem like this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I wash mine in cold salt water bath to get the blood out after rough fleshing then into a acid pickle, after it is tanned and just before mounting I wash in a big squirt of dawn and tide detergent . Makes them smell good and very soft hair wise

ARUsher and JakeKrog like this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I washed in Kemal-4 and Rittel's bactericide.

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I toss two or three fleshed capes in the washing machine, add half a cup of granulated laundry detergent and wash on a short cold water cycle. After they are washed, I drape them one at a time over the dasher (hair side out) and spin again for 30-60 seconds. They then go into a clothes dryer half full of fluffy dry towels (skin side out) and are tumbled on "Air Dry" for 30 minutes. They come out, are inverted and placed to the side while the towels are being dried on a 15 minute heat cycle. The capes go back into the dryer (yes, the towels are hot...won't harm anything) hair side out and tumbled again on "Air Dry" for an additional 30 minutes. They come out ready to DP and then shave. I've done hundreds of capes this way. If one loses hair in this process, it was bad anyway. I can remember one cape in the past year that didn't make the cut. I do have my own washer and dryer for this...Mrs Murphey won't let me use her washer/dryer for taxidermy!

ANDY likes this.
  6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Stop this "bacteriacide" crap. Why would you have harmful bacteria on your hide? You KNOW that the hide is perishable and you're more likely to have flies lay eggs and have maggots eat at it if you leave it out. Hair will eventually fall out as a matter of putrification. Bacteriacides are just a waste of money if you're caring for your hides properly. Lysol is no better than Dawn and it contains NOTHING to stop bacteria growth. It once contained phenol which is now illegal. Just flesh your hide quickly, wash it in a good detergent, dry off till tacky and then DP it and mount it. You'd be wiser to invest in some Stop Rot and spray your damp cape with it before DPing it. It actually does what it advertises.

ANDY, Westcoast and Keith like this.
  7. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    I wash in tide,downy and simple green. Wash, let soak a bit, rinse, drain and tumble dry.

8. tcliett

tcliett New Member

Thank you for your replies.