1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Frozen Cougar Issue

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Brown_270, Jun 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Brown_270

Brown_270 New Member

Oregon
    So I have a question, my brothers friend is bringing me a cougar hide to make into a rug today. He states it has been frozen almost a year, my concern lies with hair slippage and how he stored it. Knowing him it wasn't properly fleshed and will need the lips and such split. My question is how long is it ok to leave out to thaw... I will not be able to work on it until tomorrow and he is driving 4 hours to drop it off, I wasn't sure if the fridge would be the best bet until then or to let it naturally thaw in the basement. But I am just worried about it beginning to rot or hair falling out; usually I will flesh right after skinning but him keeping it in the freezer and not being able to work on it immediately kind of puts me at a stand still.. any advise is appreciated.

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    If you feel there worry of rot may of started. I would keep frozen till I had stop rot to treat it with. Many I'm sure will add thaw it in a pickle

Brown_270 and coroner2 like this.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As above. Keep it frozen until you get a couple of bottles of Stop Rot. Apply liberally as it thaws and you work on it. Hopefully you have an agreement signed with the "friend". All too often "friends" want discounts and special treatments for free or expect them of you because you are related to someone. Take a look at it when you get it and if it is a poorly prepped hide, let them know to expect issues and not a miracle. .. But Stop Rot helps, seriously.

Brown_270 likes this.
  4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

As stated stop rot would be of help ASAP
    The problem is you , I and the next person have no idea on the way it was handled prior to you getting it and like anything you may use slippage can happen.
    Now I never use a pickle to thaw anything as that renders it useless but just being a skin and not the whole animal I may use some from an ole batch or make a small batch up to thaw it in or thaw it in salt water if I’m in a rush. I generally thaw my stuff in the fridge but that’s me. I always use stop rot on any hide I may question.
    It a chance your taking no matter what.

Brown_270 likes this.