1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Tanning Chemical?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by 101stcurrahee, Jun 22, 2020.

1. 101stcurrahee

101stcurrahee Member

I've done a few dozen animals using Curatan, reptile tan, and brain tan. After reading a ton of stuff on here it sound like it will wash out if wet and isn't a true "tan" like smoking a hide after brain tanning. Is there a chemical that will make pelts able to get wet? Can I smoke hides to set them with said chemical like brain tanning? What do commercial tanneries use?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

EZ-100. You can wash them in a washing machine after tanning even years down the road. No need to smoke them. I don't think it would hurt them if you did. You can get it in a kit from TASCO supply company.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok synthetic tans are what your looking for as stated above ez-100 won’t wash out but like any tan heavy detergents can wash any tan basically out.
    Brain tanning is best and becomes water repellent after the smoking and colors it.
    If you want a garment tan then use ez as it’s used in the garment industry.
    Most commercial tanneries use Lutan f for tanning plus a good oil

4. 101stcurrahee

101stcurrahee Member

Why don’t more people brain tan? Brains are relatively cheap.

My goal is to possible make garments or outside blankets for camping. Either way I want to be able to at least rinse them when they get dirty.

5. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Fir the small cost of ez tan 100 that's the best way for you to go.

101stcurrahee likes this.
  6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If I was making garments, especially hair off and outside blankets with the hair on, I would braintan and smoke. If I was making wallhangers and taxidermy skins, I would go with one of the taxidermy tans available.

101stcurrahee likes this.