1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning Vs Dp

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by tcliett, Jun 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. tcliett

tcliett New Member

I know, I know. This is a hot topic BUT I am NOT asking which is best. LOL
    What I am asking about is timing.
    We usually DP but sent a batch off to be tanned for the first time. It is around a 90 day turn around time. This is too long for customer satisfaction when you can only send 10-15 capes at a time. We LOVED the workability of the tan hides and I see many of you doing your own but how much time does that take?
    We do around 100 mounts per year but cant start on them until after the processor part shuts down. We try to get all mounts done before the next season starts in September so that gives us about 7 months.
    How are yal able to tan and mount? we have basically 1 Full time guy and I "help" when I can.
    I am not asking for secrets but just step process. I have watched youtube videos but somewhere something is left out....

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The actual amount of time it takes once the cape is fleshed, is not that much. You have to flesh and split and turn before you send it to the tannery, so that is a time consuming part you would have done anyway. Preparing a pickle and placing the hide in is less than 30 min. Shaving/ thinning is 20 to 45 min. Preparing a neutralizing bath is less than 15 min. and neutralizing less than 1hr. Preparing a tanning bath or rub on tan less than 30 min. and oiling less than 30 min. So Unless I missed a step, if I'm remembering the steps right, it's been a couple of years since I did this, I would say less than five hrs total hands on time per cape on average.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.

3. tcliett

tcliett New Member

Thank you for the input

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.