1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Long Can You Freeze A Hide

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by 101stcurrahee, Jun 23, 2020.

1. 101stcurrahee

101stcurrahee Member

How long would you feel safe keeping an unfleshed/unsalted hide frozen?

On my last few badgers I noticed some hair coming out on one that I froze overnight when I tossed them in the pickle. I handled them all the same way coming straight home and skinning them. But it got late so I threw one in the freezer and fleshed it the next day.

Coincidence? It's also 90 degrees and it takes me several hours of fleshing in the sun before I can get sale on them.

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    You can keep a pelt/hide in the freezer a long time if it is sealed well in a air tight plastic bag. Freeer burn is caused by the moisture being removed.

If you feel the slippage is caused by the summer heat you can rub in borax to slow the bacteria growth and it also helps soak up the moisture in the fat and skin.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have handled coyote hides I froze in a frost free freezer wrapped as Fallenscale said that was frozen for at least three years with no problems. I have handled coyote hides the same way that were in a manual defrost chest freezer that were frozen for 12 years that were just like a fresh hide.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

The biggest issue would be freezer burn but with today’s products like stop rot really aid in bringing them back to life.

Reading more into your thread as badgers are so fatty and being hot and the time your spending fleshing is more of a culprit to having slippage.

101stcurrahee likes this.
  5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Most deer capes crammed in a garbage bag and frozen have a maximum life of about 3 years. They don't get better with age...like wine!

6. I agree with Joey M. After about 3 years the nose and lips start to freezer burn.