1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hide Too Large After Tanning

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Redfox23, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Redfox23

Redfox23 New Member

Hey there,
    I want to return to my first life size project fox soon ... I got him tanned last year I believe and took exact measurements before I started skinning him. I sent him to a tannery to get the pelt dry tanned and once tried to work on my mount, the pelt was way larger than anticipated. 7 inch in length I remember, maybe more.

How much shrinkage can I expect or should I rather look for a new form?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It’s probably more stretched length wise than width.
    You need to hydrate it and from there you can stretch it width wise and get better measurements.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Did you stretch for width?

4. Redfox23

Redfox23 New Member

Thank you for your replies. I just noticed that I made a mistake: The pelt was wet tanned, not not dry tanned. And yes, the pelt was very stretched in length by the tannery, so it didn't fit the form I ordered anymore.

I considered prolonging the form with expanding foam, but I fear the anatomy getting messed up. Is it normal that the pelt gets out larger from the tannery?

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You need to stretch the hide for width. When you do that, it will decrease the length measurement a lot. The more you stretch for width, the more your length lessens. Wet tan is a good way to go, so I don't see how that is a mistake.

After you stretch for width, the chances are good that you won't have to alter your form at all.

Redfox23 and msestak like this.
  6. Redfox23

Redfox23 New Member

Alright, thank you!! When I get to work on the fox again, I will keep this in mind.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Don't alter that form! The most likely thing that happened, especially on thin skinned animals, is that the hide "let out" during tanning. If you are confident in your original measurements, just align your anatomical markers (legs, head, tail) and start sewing. You will be able to "crunch" the hide back to the areas in between giving your mount a full, natural look. Keep after it in pushing wrinkles out as the hide dries and contracts naturally. After a day or two you'll find the hide is fitting the form.

Altering a form is most often the last choice you should make on standard commercial work. Nothing looks worse that a weenie fox.

8. Redfox23

Redfox23 New Member

This is a very excellent answer, thank you very much! As initially said, it's my first life size try and I'm rather nervous, but this helps a lot. I'm still too busy to try my work on him, but I hope to find the time soon ...

No weenie fox wanted :D

9. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

That is so funny...and so true!!