1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Kind Of Bear Is This?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by blackmountain, Jun 26, 2020.

1. blackmountain

blackmountain New Member

Hi, I've had this for 10 years or so...bought from a woman who inherited it from her father.

What kind of bear is this, can you tell? It was much more brown before the sun faded it. I ask because I'm in California and would like to sell it.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Anything that is taken under the authority of a hunting license cannot be sold in CA (there are exceptions regarding deer capes and shed antlers). It is illegal to sell or buy most animal parts in California, even though it is commonly seen and may appear legal on eBay, Craigslist, second-hand and antique stores, estate auctions and in pawn shops.
    You would be wise to check with the CA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife to be safe. There are seven Regional Offices throughout the State.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Kodiak Brown Bear

Richard C and George like this.
  4. blackmountain

blackmountain New Member

Really? For sure? That would be interesting news because I've never known.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Kodiak, Brown or grizzly. Caribou antler would make it an Alaskan bear and it is NOT a black bear.

As above, you won't be able to sell it (legally). Californias wildlife laws absolutely suck.

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yep pretty positive.

7. blackmountain

blackmountain New Member

Back to my bear, it's legal to give away I assume?

8. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

You need to contact your Fish and Wildlife department for a definitive answer.

9. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

looks more like an interior grizzly than a coastal brown