1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Larry Goldman ~ 1936–2020

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Ken Edwards, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

larry_goldman-06-2.jpg
    Larry Goldman of Saginaw, Minnesota, passed away on June 23, 2020. He was the owner of a groundbreaking supply company, Hide and Beak, a molding and casting expert, a woodcarver, taxidermist, inventor and author. He was a past President of the Minnesota Taxidermy Guild, and a founding member and past Vice President of the International Guild of Taxidermy. Larry wrote a popular question-and-answer column for Breakthrough Magazine for the past 24 years and was a frequent seminar instructor at many conventions.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

So sorry to hear... Thank you Ken.

3. Very sorry to hear. He was a very familiar name and face in our industry and I always enjoyed reading his article.

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I had the opportunity to meet and talk to Larry way back when he was on the board of directors of the International Guild of Taxidermist. Must have been around 1986 or so. Down to Earth type of guy.

Vic

5. i use to order LOTS of stuff from hide and beak.. loved the place could order one set of eyes and they were in the mail box next day or two.. and Larry was usually available to answer any questions...was great guy.

6. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Damn ... Cheryl and I were just reminiscing about Larry not too long ago, how he and I both originally hailed from Brooklyn, NY. His favorite line: "Saginaw ... Minnesota!" (Please correct that, Ken ... thanks. ;)) You had to be there! That's the way Larry was. This is so heartbreaking ... Rest in Peace, dear sir ...

Ken Edwards likes this.
  7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Sorry to hear and thanks for letting us know. I’ve had many great conversations with that man and all was so enjoyable!

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

So sad to hear Larry has passed. Larry was a great guy and I always enjoyed taking to him when I placed an order. That is when I could get him off the phone. :D A very personable guy and interesting too boot. Amazing someone from Brooklyn could end up a taxidermist and taxidermy supplier that loved to hunt and fish. But that was Larry - Amazing!

9. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

If my memory is correct Larry designed his own logo for his company and also had it made into a belt buckle which he proudly wore. I always thought that was pretty cool. Sad to hear that he is gone.

Cecil likes this.
  10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Allways wondered how a Minnesota iron ranger got that accent.... Larry was one of the good ones...

Cecil likes this.
  11. Kathy

Kathy Active Member

Here's the oldest ad I still had on file, which ran in 2006. I looked for that logo but can't find it.
    Everyone here at Breakthrough has missed his Q&A articles that ran from Issue 35 through Issue 130. He never missed a deadline and made very few errors or typos. He knew so much about so many things! He was a very good person.

Attached Files:

Cecil likes this.
  12. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Sorry to here this, I have enjoyed his articles in breakthrough for many years, RIP Larry, condolences to the family.

Cecil likes this.
  13. Tom McNeal

Tom McNeal Member

A super nice and "go to guy" for just about anything you ever wanted to know or wondered about... taxidermy and otherwise!
    Rest in peace Larry! Our condolences to your family and friends.

Tom & Gail McNeal

Cecil likes this.
  14. maxman

maxman Member

I used to buy a lot of supplies from Hide and Beak. I was one of the few that had a charge acct with them. I’d order and they would just send it. They billed me monthly. Had many interesting conversations with Larry. The man was always willing to help. Rest In Peace my friend. Condolences to Barb and Kaci!

Cecil likes this.
  15. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

Larry was a great guy , always very helpful , I just drove past his place the other day on my way to Duluth.

Galen

16. randym

randym Member

As many have said, Larry was a great guy and quite a character! Always had time to talk and give advice. I also used to do a lot of business with them in the 80's and 90's. Also stopped by to see him and Barbara a time or two on our way to Canada. My condolences to Barbara and family.

Vicki Chritton-Myers and Cecil like this.
  17. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

He was a treasure trove of information. RIP

Vicki Chritton-Myers likes this.
  18. Just read this. Condolences and prayers to all whose lives he touched. He will be greatly missed.