1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Price Fox Mounts? Pricing Life Size Mounts In General?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by JoshuaTreeBirds, Jun 28, 2020.

1. JoshuaTreeBirds

JoshuaTreeBirds New Member

Usually I am strictly birds... but I've been doing a few mammals lately, foxes and bobcat. This 1st fox is nearly done, just needs a base. Base will be rock and grass, picture to give an idea. I have someone interested in buying it once the base is done, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to ask for it. What would this mount be worth? This is my first ever fox, but I put a lot of time and research into it and I think it turned out pretty alright. Thanks! IMG_5359.JPG IMG_5361.JPG IMG_5363.JPG IMG_5366.JPG IMG_5362.JPG

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Wally Gator likes this.
  2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    What ever the amount the customer didnt pay to have it mounted

JoshuaTreeBirds likes this.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I charge $500 to mount a gray fox on a simple cypress slab as a base. As a sale item, I think half that amount would be about all you could expect. People just don't pay much for animals they didn't harvest.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The same way you would price a bird mount. Shop rate plus cost of materials marked up and shipping added, plus cost of services marked up and shipping added times number of hours to do the work. I would charge at least $1,300 if the customer brought me the skin.

5. joeym

You wouldn't mount many of them in my broke a$$ area, LOL!

pir^2h likes this.
  6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Work out your price from materials , time , habitat and shop cost and if you really don’t like to mount them add $300 to $500 on top all that then it won’t matter . That’s what I do .

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I didn't mount many here either. I didn't want a large amount of life size mammals, so I was good with it. But, when I did mount one, I made it worth it.

JoshuaTreeBirds and joeym like this.
  8. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Some people on this forum don't seem to realize that "You can't get that price in my area." You wouldn't get someone here to pay anywhere that much in my area either. I don't do commercial work but I have had some ask me to do their critters (even though I told them I don't do work for others). So I price them outrageous which is usually followed by a gasp and "Holy $hit man I didn't think it would cost that much!"

9. joeym

The bottom line here is that you cannot get the price for sale items that you charge for a customer mount. Customers are paying for re-living a memory, whereas buyers don't have that bond, and generally pay less. If you think I'm wrong, go to yard sales and see what people pay for taxidermy...pennies on the dollar.

JoshuaTreeBirds and Fallenscale like this.
  10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

You should be sure and check your states laws with regard to the selling of taxidermy specimens. The laws regarding such sales differ from state to state.

joeym and JoshuaTreeBirds like this.