1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Isokote 531 To Release Fiberglass From Fiberglass

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Rogerst, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Rogerst

Rogerst Member

Isokote 531 has a spray on amazon that was used in a molding and casting video I watched recently. The video release a bondo/resin fish from a fiberglass mold. I have done this with wax and PVA in the past.

I have a first pull fiberglass walleye that is a couple years old. The mold is now breaking down and I want to make a new one from the original cast.

If I apply the isokote release can I bondo/resin mold the original casting?

Suggestions with the process.

2. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

I would never alter from proven materials, method and application. Partall number 2 wax followed by PVA

3. Rogerst

Rogerst Member

Sound advice

Thank you

4. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

531 is a wax based release so it would probably work but i wouldn't try it until you have pulled the part you want to remold. Then test all you want. Since it's wax based you might have to be extra careful to scrub any parts made with ajax and a brush with hot water to be sure any was residue was removed. A lot of releases are not paint friendly.

5. Rogerst

Rogerst Member

I have a couple small perch that I am experimenting on now.
    One with the wax and PVA, one with the 531, and another with a cheaper silicone.

Your wax suggestion is accurate because many times my first coat to prime or antique will bead up.