1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any Advice For Beginners?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kiyolsakie6, Jun 30, 2020 at 8:31 AM.

1. kiyolsakie6

kiyolsakie6 New Member

I'm really interested in taxidermy but I have no idea where to start! I don't have any dead animals lying around and I don't hunt. Should I ask around for spare carcasses? Or should I start with artificial skins? And are beginner taxidermy kits useful?

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate it.
    10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 happymod

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 1:37 AM
  2. John Stewart

John Stewart Member

I'm also "new" to taxidermy. In fact I know absolutely nothing about it. I have enrolled in a taxidermy course that focuses on Whitetail mounts and will be attending in October. My plan is to do taxidermy after I retire in 5 years. Between now and then I just want to get some experience under my belt and make a name for myself. Before I retire I intend to build a shop at my house specifically for this. I'd like some input from experienced taxidermist on things to accumulate, besides the traditional tools for the job. Freezers work racks etc. I'd like to know what experienced taxidermist wish they had when they started out and acquired as they progressed. Any input is welcome!

3. Watch your local Taxidermy association for upcoming courses and workshops and sign up, you wont regret it. Plenty of DVD's and reading materials to get you a basic understanding of what is required and the steps. You can look in the for sale section of this forum to find a critter to practice on if you needed.

I mounted a squirrel a few years ago, only using a DVD as reference on how to do it. Had never tried taxidermy before that, didn't come out half bad I don't think, definitely put me heading in the right direction.

John Stewart likes this.
  4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

unplug your freezer and run !!!

socalmountainman likes this.