1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing Feather Stains

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by pir^2h, Jun 30, 2020.

1. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

IMG_2860.JPG I have a game farm bird that is beautiful other than the vent area. I have washed the area a couple times to try to remove the green stain but so far nothing has worked. Any suggestions?

Vic

2. I was watching Bill Atkins video on mounting a mallard last night, He used winks rust and stain remover on the feathers to remove stains. I would obviously research this as I have no personal experience with it myself but just a thought!

magicmick and pir^2h like this.

3. pir^2h

OK, Thanks! I should have thought about that. I just got some from Matuska this past week. My other thought was to use some peroxide but I don't know how that will affect the feathers since I have never done that. It's my bird so if it gets screwed up its only on me.

Sam 10November1775 likes this.
  4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Squirt Winks on it...if the stain doesn't come out, it ain't coming out. Just be sure to wash it again in Dawn after the Winks. Winks is very acidic and you must wash it out well in order to prevent acid rot.

magicmick, pir^2h and Wildthings like this.
  5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

that was not a healthy bird prob some cocci ... bile from the liver.... it should be a water soluble stain maybe try a little oxyclean but careful of the skin...you may need to pluck them out

magicmick likes this.
  6. pir^2h

I tried the Winks. It lightened the stain up some but didn't totally remove it. I mounted it flying showing off its back so the stain will be hard to see unless you are looking for it.

It was a gamefarm natural death bird so you may be correct that the bird was not all that healthy. I only paid shipping for it and wanted it for practice more than anything.

7. Use the same peroxide that you use to bleach human hair. You can buy hair bleaching kits from the local drug store for bleaching your hair white. I have used these several times on white birds and white swans that have have hard water stains and other stains on the feathers and it worked out great. It did not affect the feathers.

pir^2h and magicmick like this.
  8. pir^2h

Thanks for that tip Northern Bird Artist. I will have to remember that next time I run into something like this.

Vic

9. Hasnain

Hasnain Member

When u dry the bird the stain will further fade away. DNT worry and process the bird

10. lapoisse

lapoisse Active Member

France
    use bleach