1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Are Some Other Alternatives Other Than Bondo?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Dennis Duffy, Jun 30, 2020 at 5:50 PM.

1. Dennis Duffy

Dennis Duffy Member

I know this has been asked before. But I was curious if there is any other (Safer and less Smelly) alternatives other than bond? Especially for setting antlers? Or what are some other methods for setting antlers anyone else uses that works well. Appreciate any input!

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Paper mache, plaster, Apoxie sculpt, clay, ear set, and 2 part foam come to mind.

magicmick and Dennis Duffy like this.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Some use paper mache, sometimes with clay used under the cap door a filler. You may need to experiment and see what you like best and what you can afford. Personally I prefer the bondo. A little smell maybe, don’t know of any danger involved. Sets quick, easy to reshape with a rasp, and is very economical. But that’s just me.

magicmick likes this.
  4. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

I started in my basement and needed something with no smell. I found IE-3065 from innovative polymers is very similar to bondo. Mix 50% A with 50% B and you have a 6 min working time. It is much stronger than bondo and also much more expensive. It has zero smell! These days I set my antlers outside with bondo.

Dennis Duffy likes this.
  5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Bondo and taxidermy go hand-in-hand. I did the same thing when I operated out of a basement. The bondo can sat outside the basement door, and that's where I used it. Unfortunately, the aroma would still permeate the house.

Dennis Duffy likes this.
  6. Westcoast

Westcoast Member

C97AFC2D-0FC5-4E91-82B3-77B131F179E2.jpeg

7. Westcoast

Westcoast Member

I use this foam for both building up the skull after setting the antlers and also to glue the form back together during alterations. Or as a filler where 2 part foam would normally be used. It’s lite, strong and after it kicks can be shaped.

Dennis Duffy likes this.