1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Airbrush Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by MaineOutdoorsman, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:10 PM.

1. Any recommendations on a good airbrush that wont break the bank? I am a novice just getting into taxidermy and I see a whole lot of different options and a whole lot of different prices, not really sure where to start. Any brand I should avoid? Any brand you highly recommend? Thanks in advance

2. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Active Member

Welcome! You’re about to get lots of opinions....here’s mine. I use a Paasche VL. You can get a kit for under $100 which will include 3 tips. Save yourself lots of frustration and get good instructional material before you get started. If you are going to do fish I recommend Breakthrough’s Fish Finishing by Tom Sexton, which helped me a lot with my painting.
    Link to a kit on eBay
    https://www.ebay.com/p/1433308076

Blessings

MaineOutdoorsman likes this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

4. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I have the Badger Krome ($98), the Paasche VL-1 and VL-3 ($74 each) and the 'Blue Machine" ($20). Unless I am doing dots or fine detail (Krome) I use my VL-1 for everything. And if anyone can recognize the "Blue Machine", it works just as nice as my VL-1! By the way, my Paasche's are close to 40 years old!
    airbrushes.jpg

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If that little blue thing is the one that is $20 or so from Harbor Freight, that is what I have used for several years and it has worked equally as well or better than the ones I have that were from 60 to 100 dollars more.

6. Westcoast

Westcoast Member

Paasche H, super simple, single stage,easy to clean, can mix and make custom colors in the bowl. And simple, simple,simple...... It’s ugly as hell but will do exactly what you need it to

socalmountainman likes this.
  7. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

That's exactly what it is! $20 from Harbor Freight and I only bought it to see if it was any good. It actually impressed the heck out of me. For anyone on a budget, this is a great place to start!
    https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...r-brushes-kits/deluxe-airbrush-kit-95810.html
    HF Airbrush Kit.png

Tanglewood Taxidermy and ARUsher like this.