1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pintail Coloring

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by byrdman, Jul 1, 2020.

1. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Have been noticing different coloring from drake pintails from other areas.We dont get much for pintails in Mn at least none with any decent plumage. Some seem a darker smokey gray and others are a bright silver gray.The tertials also seem to range from brown/black to whiter/black Anybody know anything about this color difference? age region etc.

2. GotHonks

GotHonks Well-Known Member

We have more sprig in Ca than the rest of the country combine or it seems like it and we can only shoot one ... sometimes common sense should over ride wrong science .. Because the simple fact is that there are never going to be sprig where historically they have never been ... Sorry Sore subject .. I've Killled and mounted lots of them over my many yrs of waterfowlin and seen them in both phases you talked about . I'm not a biologist but from what I've noticed is that they get the brighter vibrant contrasting feather colors before mating season . I tell clients if they want a Sprig or Greenhead to mount ... shoot it in the last week of the season , the colors are more vibrant . Pretty much most waterfowl in general , the Males at least get these more vibrant colors before mating season ...

3. X2 on GotHonks comment. I have raised all species over the years and they always get more vibrant breeding colors as it gets closer to their breeding time.

4. byrdman

I know what your saying but pintails from same state shot within a few days some are bright silver some are smoky grey so they are not changing colors but are almost like a different subspecies... anyway does anyone have a bright silver to gift

bucksnort10 likes this.
  5. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

I've been told that Pen raised birds colors are not as brilliant as wild ones so with that is it possible that food has something to do with their color variances. I notice their is differences in the fat on birds of the same species which is related to their food so it may be possible that the main staple of food cold cause that ?? I'm no expert it just an opinion.

6. AFTHUNT

7. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

It's all about the habitat .... ha ha

8. AFTHUNT

lmao:):D:D

bucksnort10 likes this.
  9. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Was thinking you would appreciate that.

Have a great day!

10. byrdman

its not habitat..... unless your a "snap together" basement taxidermist haha

bucksnort10 likes this.
  11. AFTHUNT

lol;)

bucksnort10 likes this.