1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hog Question...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Newbie1, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member

Got a guy that has a couple hogs he wants to do shoulder mounts on, but they aren't the biggest hogs. The E-N is 6" & 2 of them are 6.5" . Haven't found anyone with forms for these sizes. Anyone have any suggestions on how to pull this off??
    Thank you

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Good luck with that. 7" eye to nose is the smallest I have found. You'll have to get one that is closest and alter it.

3. Westcoast

Westcoast Member

Get the smallest you can find and alter it. What kind of pigs are they? 6 inch eye to nose on a feral hog where I am from is either a piglet or someone’s pet potbelly

ARUsher likes this.
  4. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member

They are just a feral hog...they came from Oklahoma. Got 8 of them in...2 are 9" E-N and 1 is 9.5". There are 3 that are 7--7.5" and 2 smaller. So, I guess it won't be too bad. The 9.5 has a frickin 1.75 shield on him....gotta love it. Of the 8, there are 3 sows. Not sure about the sheid on them yet.... thanks for the reply

5. Westcoast

Westcoast Member

No shield on sows, you’re in for some fun though, because pigs are fun to do...

Newbie1 likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I betcha the cape will fit a 7" E:N without altering. Hogs have plenty of skin on their jaws due to their jawls. Test fit before altering.

7. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member

We'll try and see what happens, thank you

8. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

Best thing about hogs is NO SEWING!!!!

msestak likes this.
  9. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member

Yep!!! I made a tool to do my fleshing and I just told my son a little bit ago that I was proud of this thing I made. I fleshed one of the hogs today in 15-20min. The meat and fat come right off. Granted, this was a sow, but it was a breeze. I did one of the boars yesterday and this tool cut right through the shield. Came off in 2" strips.....

msestak likes this.
  10. Nice with the fleshing tool you made. I use an ulu but it can still be a bitch. As for the altering, I too have found that a simple test fit may save you from altering the form. Many times the suppliers use old molds and the measurements aren't what you order anyways. Thin everything really good and you should achieve the stretch you need to make it work out. Are you using the cast lip jawsets on some of those. Personally when I can use them I do.

msestak likes this.