1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Glue For Holding Open Alligator Jaw?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Long Term Addiction Euros, Jul 3, 2020.

1. I am mounting an alligator skull with open jaws for a customer. I am having some issues finding a strong enough adhesive to hold the jaws open. Any suggestions?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

How long/heavy is the skull? Problem is, any epoxy you can use isn't going to look very nice. You are going to have to fill in the jaw hinge joints and there will always be stress there to encourage breakage or total joint failure if there is any grease left in the bone. If it is a large one, it would be better to make a metal bracket for it to hold up the upper skull and let the lower jaw hang loose.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I have done them by drilling a hole through the hinge ion the bottom jaw, then drilling a pilot hole for a screw into the upper jaw. Lay a bed of epoxy into the joints, and sink a drywall screw through the drilled holes to hold it together. Slather epoxy over all exposed areas of the joint. Inform the customer to be very gentle with it! It's super easy to break it, and impossible to repair once broken. Another method is to prop open with an acrylic rod. The rod is not very visible.

4. Thanks! I actually went to the acrylic rod before I read that last response. I used clear Loc-Tite “Extreme” epoxy and got the hinges and the top and bottom of the acrylic rod and held all in place for 24-ish hours with clamps. Since it’s free floating from the wall I wanted to try to avoid anything metal or wood holding it up. I went with a “Skull Hooker” mount. Seems very solid.

Attached Files:

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you didn't wire the hinges together you might want to consider it to prevent a later failure of the epoxy and the lower jaw dropping off from the rear.