1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Starting Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by reniwqwil5, Jul 4, 2020.

1. reniwqwil5

reniwqwil5 New Member

So I've been interested in taxidermy for a couple years now, and have a couple pieces at home but want to start making my own. There aren't any workshops near me- I've been watching a lot of YouTube tutorials and reading online blogs about equipment needed etc.

Does anyone have tips/ stories of how they started/what they would have liked to have known when they began?

Another thing that concerns me is that in the UK i can only seem to find borax substitute for preservative - what do any other uk taxidermists use?
    usps tracking showbox speed test

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

https://www.patreon.com/roadkillreno

3. Personally I went to a school and learned the trade, but that isn't necessary. For example, my first taxidermy class was fish and I mounted 4 in class if I remember, but 10 weeks later when I opened my business it was fall and I didn't get any fish customers in until the following summer. By then I completely forgot the skinning technique I had learned, because I hadn't mounted any fish except for those at the very beginning of taxidermy school. I ended up getting a video called "Mounting a Largemouth Bass A-Z" by Tom Sexton and watched it over and over until I had it photographically embedded in my head. It showed from beginning to the final product. I started mounting all of my fish with that technique ever since and the result was better mounts even. It is all about technique and what works for you. To me this video was easier than how I was taught in school, and much cheaper. There are other videos that I have purchased over the years as well. Another great one is "Mounting a Whitetail A-Z" by Rick Carter. Goes through every process with great instruction and close up footage. Zero questions after that. You can literally mount any shoulder mount after watching that movie, because the technique is all the same (except for antelope). But there's a video for that as well! If you have the resources and specimens available I would recommend those videos and practice, practice, practice until you are happy with your work. Hope I helped a little. Oh, they also go over products to use as well so you know exactly what to purchase as far as supplies are concerned. Best of luck to you.