1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Advice On Some Taxidermist Issues?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bearcountry953, Jul 4, 2020.

1. bearcountry953

bearcountry953 New Member

USA
    I have been a member here for awhile and a taxidermist enthusiast with over 100 mounts done by professionals from my animals and I build all my own dioramas.
    I use several taxidermists as I like to pick by their specialty.
    I have a local taxidermist that does some basic work for me, flat skins, skulls,.
    I called to get an update on some of my projects and was taken back just a bit.
    I gave him two really nice prime coyotes
    to case tan for me. He said he did them but they mildewed instead of drying so he put them back in “ the Pickle” and both of them lost all their hair. Said “ learned a good lesson” I was very quiet and listened and he said I will make it up to you.
    Then I asked about my fall bear also being soft tanned he said he sent it to NY and the tannery filed for bankruptcy and my hide is lost.
    Okay I’m a reasonable guy...
    What should I expect? How does one replace 3 trophies and the costs related to the hunts to obtain them?
    Thanks
    Dan

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    I would ask for the tannery name and address if they were sent there they should still have them. The bankruptcy court should be looking out for all people of interest in this company.

3. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

in most all cases the tannery will only either replace the lost skin or give the current market value of it. Not any fees related to your hunting them. Most courts will more than likely rule the same. As for the tannery closing you are pretty much screwed. Why he did not send your coyotes to another tannery is beyond me. He should have never tried to do them himself and simply skinned, salted and shipped them to a reputable tannery for a quality job that you would have been happy with. Good luck

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Your word against his on how prime and good condition they are or were in unfortunately

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

most all tanning done by any shop is " at your own risk" many factors can govern the outcome of a tan... a replacement skin may be all you could hope for but any expense on hunting them is yours

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

If I had a failure like the coyotes, I would reimburse the deposit. On the bear, I would return anything over and above what had been paid to the tannery. There are tanning failures at tanneries also. A successful tan is attributed to many things going correct. A failure can be from any one of those thing going wrong. Often, tanneries don't receive any money until the job is completed. He may not have any monetary loss there. When I have a failure, I do everything possible to make it right for the client ASAP. In today's world, an entire business and career can be trashed on social media...I want to avoid that at all reasonable costs...your taxidermist should too.

Glenn M likes this.
  7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Bring involved with the court system all you can claim is cost of skin replacement.
    No hunt is ever included and no monies will ever be handed out for that.
    You can get three prices for the court and file a claim for that only. They’ll probably as usual go for the middle price and that’s what you’ll get. Make sure you get prices from legit dealers with written prices on a letterhead from them.
    With what you have to be replaced is a magisterial and going there and even winning the case doesn’t mean you’ll get it. As it may take three court cases to get a sheriff sale to get your money plus your loss of time trying to recovery it. It may cost you more in the long run , so check into it first.