1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Glueing Eyes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Westcoast, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Anybody ever hot glue deer eyes so that they can’t be accidentally pushed out of place? So, in other words, set your eyes in clay as you normally would. Once they are exactly where you want them, drop a bead of hot glue to secure them, to “hard set” them in place. Then do your upper and lower eyelid clay work as you normally would. That way the eyeball itself stays in place no matter how much clay and skin is manipulated around it. Just a thought......

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I dig eye sockets out on form just a little, then fill back off eye up with clay and I put a little clay in dug out area of form and press it in till it seats against form make it level and do my eye work with clay . I have never in 35 years had an eye move , so not sure why you would need glue like your saying to keep it in place .

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have hot glued the glass eye to the form to secure it. It's how Rick Carter shows in his DVD Mounting A Whitetail A to Z. I didn't care much for it as once you glue it into place you can't adjust if you are slightly off.

Dwb5 likes this.
  4. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Thank you for the responses gentlemen, every once in a while I get the itch to throw around ideas.

tem and 13 point like this.
  5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Hot glue and glass eyes is a bad combination. I tried it for a while, until the glue cooked the paint loose from a set of reflective eyes I had purchased. Very expensive mistake.

rogerswildlife likes this.
  6. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Use a clay like critter clay that has no shrinkage.

7. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

I don’t have issues with shrinkage and all that I use is critter clay. I was just entertaining a thought. The thought being that we put a lot of work into perfectly aligning pupils and setting proper angle. Why we wouldn’t want to, once everything is perfectly aligned, secure it so that it doesn’t move. The eyeball then becoming a none movable and absolute point of both attachment and reference. This done at the point of setting your eyes, prior to your actual clay work.

8. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Like 13 Point, I have never had the problem with eyes moving once set. I have set eyes slightly off and had the need to adjust the eyes afterward and in that hot glue sets quickly you would have to get it right the very first attempt as Tanglewood points out. The adage "if ain't broke, don't fix it" I think applies here. The desire to find easier or better methods is something we all deal with while we're learning, but at some point you spend so much time trying new methods you never perfect the methods you have found you are comfortable with. At some point you just keep adding frustration to your work.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  9. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

I do have a tendency to overthink things, thanks for the insight

10. tem

tem Well-Known Member

theres nothing wrong in trying new ideas. heck. you never know.:rolleyes:

11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

rough up the socket and run a screw into center.. after dry fitting and making sure pupils line up with marks on form then fill back of eye with bondo and place into socket one at a time after bondo sets... never move not much heat

12. hot melt is how I have done it for the 16yrs that I have been mounting deer w/o an issue. A 1/2" bead at the top & bottom of the socket, line up the pupil with my level marks then press in place. You will have 10-15 seconds to look up the nose & move them if needed.

Westcoast likes this.
  13. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Someone posted a while ago that if you need to move a hot glued eye you can heat it with a hair dryer and make adjustments.

14. Marvtaxidermy

Marvtaxidermy Member

I have had problems that if I set the eyes with clay on the form too much in advance, the day before, clay dries and eye falls out. I may try a few dots of the hot glue to hold in place.

13 point likes this.
  15. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Do your eye work then sprits it with water and lay a little pcs of clear wrap over both eyes for the night next morning pull it off couple hours before you mount deer , they will dry and get hard but stay in and rehydrate fast

Westcoast likes this.
  16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Seran Wrap is what I used.

17. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I set the eyes in potters clay after I have the skin on the mannikin. Pull the skin forward a little, then down, and you have room for your eye work. I use critter clay for upper and lower lids. No overnight wait time for me. I mount 5 deer a day, one day a week, so eye setting is a 10 minute task per deer, then on to zipping them up.

18. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    After putting some Critter Clay in the eye socket, and additional clay in the back of the eye, I place the eye in the socket, set and adjust pupil placement, then put a small smear of clay above and below the eye to help hold the eye in the socket before adding the clay for the upper and lower muscle structures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A first roll of clay is set along the bottom ... and this holds the eye in the socket. This is followed by clay for the upper eye muscles.
    [​IMG]
    The rest of the clay work proceeds as usual ...
    [​IMG]
    The finished mount ... [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  19. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    A small bead of hot glue in the eye socket to set eyes during mannikin prep.
    Then once the skin is on, all eye work through the eye opening.

20. I set eyes after getting hide on as well. I used to meticulously sculpt eye sets and immediately destroy them pulling skin