1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sexism/ageism In Taxidermy?

Discussion in 'Training' started by smilingpeach, Jul 6, 2020.

1. smilingpeach

smilingpeach New Member

I'm an aspiring taxidermist and I'm trying to get my foot in the door. While doing research I've come to learn this is a male dominated field and not many are in my age group. (early 20s) I'm trying to find an apprenticeship or some type of schooling but I'm curious as to how the industry treats younger people/ women. Has anyone ever had a negative experience, or is discrimination common? It's totally possible I'm overthinking it, but I'm genuinely curious. The only reason I'm asking is because the first post I saw on this site was just a bunch of white supremacists being racist. I'm hoping that's not the norm here.....

drob likes this.
  2. drob

drob Active Member

From the mouth of babes!!!

tem and msestak like this.

3. John Stewart

John Stewart Member

Some people, wait, a LOT of people are really great at being victims now days. Make a name for yourself by overcoming adversity. Oh ya! Coming to a forum like this with all the "isms" and such doesn't lend you much credibility.

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

You run your mouth and assume, it’s people like you , that just jump on the bandwagon and yet have no clue in life . You go onto an open forum about current events that had nothing to do with Taxidermy and assume that is what this trade and sight is about . I myself and others on here have trained and helped a many of young wanna be taxidermist in today’s world. But we are human and are a little tiered of being blamed for things that happened years ago that we had nothing to do with. You say we inslaved them and yet it was their own people that sold them to be inslaved. So dig into the real history of our world and you will see the truth , the black man is being oppressed just ask the worst president we ever had OBAMA bout that . He was a black man wasn’t He

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Wake up each day with a smile, thank God for letting you see the sunrise one more time, and seize the day with positive thoughts and aspirations. Age, gender, and race have nothing to do with being a successful taxidermist. There is diversity in taxidermy. Amy Ritchie Carter began at a very early age, and is an excellent award winning taxidermist. Ray Murphy is an African-American from Mobile who has a successful taxidermy business deep in the heart of Dixie. Life is what you make of it...now get out there and make a name for yourself!

6. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You join the site and jump into a conversation, not related to taxidermy, with both feet. Not a way to make friends by insulting people. Stick with the taxidermy threads if that is what you are truly interested in. Get books on taxidermy and anatomy, read and practice. Draw and sketch animals you might be working with. If you can't understand anatomy, it will be hard to make anything look lifelike. Practice with small mammals and birds to start. Find your local taxidermists and make friends. You might find one that takes you on as an apprentice. You might be doing nothing but fleshing hides to begin with but it is a start and you need to learn to do that anyway. There might still be online courses and there are a lot of YouTube videos (good and bad). How you are treated has nothing to do with age or sex. Your attitude will open all the doors you need, or close them permanently.

8. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

You need a reality check. Try reading different boards on this forum (besides current events) and you will see that many very successful taxidermist are more than willing to share their expertise and help ANYONE whether you are male/female, age six or sixty. They don't care about your skin color, ethnicity, eye, hair color etc.; they won't even ask. It's all about HELPING those who ask. Think before you type!

9. Sea Wolf

Joined on Monday, ranted and never returned. Tag line on profile is "hot girls do taxidermy". Maybe more concerned with appearance and vanity than real taxidermy .. or maybe really a troll. Nothing like being covered in grease bits and salt from fleshing hides to dampen that "I am a gorgeous bitch" mentality. .. and liquefied brains from doing euros. Sexy .. not!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  10. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

didn't nearly all of us get into taxidermy when we were young? What the hell does that have anything to do with it?

11. Westcoast

Westcoast Member

Smilingpeach, There are negative experiences, discrimination of all sorts and roadblocks in every career that you may choose. Be less concerned with other people and more concerned with being the best version of you. If you aren’t part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

hatchling, msestak and drob like this.
  12. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

[​IMG]

13. Sea Wolf

Good God I hate Sponge Bob .. but still. LOL.

msestak and drob like this.
  14. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

The general public has a really skewed view of taxidermy. To make it, there is no room for wasting time on drama during the work day. Countless hours are spent on mundane tasks...this drives most "aspiring taxidermists" away really quick.

msestak likes this.
  15. Sea Wolf

Apparently, not curious enough. Never came back to read any of the replies. Might have been alcohol involved. Makes you do weird things at 1:30 am.

msestak and Westcoast like this.
  16. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Could be still asleep after a late night out protesting white people.

17. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

I think smilingpeach is By Golly aka Story Lady !

just in case she isnt. i suggest she stays in the beginer forum, forgets about all that racist, bigot nonsense she is spewing and learn to mount something. if that doesnt work out she can always tell the customer they dont like her work because she is a female :)

Dannynewman likes this.
  18. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

.... and when she joined, the only post she showed any activity on was a post about, you guessed it, nothing to do with taxidermy!
    Screenshot (13).png

19. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

This is the biggest pile of garbage I have ever read on this site. And that includes the Indian spammers. This is a site about taxidermy, not liberal BS. Take that crap elsewhere.

20. drob

drob Active Member

You are right,this site is about taxidermy-but if you notice,the forum with the most posts is the current event forum and nothing there is taxidermy related !

freeze_1, Westcoast and msestak like this.