1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Quick Question About Mummification

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by relindwto6, Jul 8, 2020.

1. relindwto6

relindwto6 New Member

Hey all, A friend of mine surprised me with a bunch of mummified paws. The seller said they were mummified in borax. They're all pretty haphazardly cut, bones and such still jutting out and they have an off smell, not neccesarily rot but just off and not super pleasant. One of the paws had wetness on the fur, though I'm not sure exactly what from. My questions are: 1, are they safe to handle with the dried bone and some flesh still on the ends(kinda too late, I had dumped them out on my kitchen table and picked em all up until I realized they weren't as pro as I'd hoped.) I put them all in plastic bags with the one paw separated from the others, to keep the smell out and keep my cat away while I'm at work. And 2, how can I get rid of the smell/should I fill the bags with salt/borax just to make sure they're definitely mummified since I'm doubting the sellers job(I've had no contact with them, so I don't even know who they are), and how could I safely cut down the bones and such on the ends? I really want to display these but also want them safe and not smelly(my cat is an idiot and would mess with them).
    appvalley tutuapp tweakbox

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You have to go to Facebook and join one of their sites as this is geared to taxidermy and not what your doing.
    We do things correctly here or teach beginners how to correctly mount , tan or use DP correctly on their mounts. mummification is not taxidermy!

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

They are just dried out - dehydrated. Borax, if that's what was used dehydrates and does serve to deter insect infestation. They are not really "preserved" and are subject to rot and attracting insects over time, especially if they are subjected to humidity. If you were to cut them in any way, it may expose untreated flesh to the air allowing more rot and smell. Not much you can do with them at this point. I wouldn't want them in my shop as it would invite insect infestation. Not the news you were hoping for I'm sure, but it is the reality.

Robert Baker likes this.