1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mold Release....

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Newbie1, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member

Is it possible to use the spray vegetable for a mold release?? If not, is there an alternative I can use in a pinch??
    Thanks

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I don’t use that but depending on what your doing
    Johnson paste wax or mothers gold carnuba wax

3. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member

Thanks for the response....I made a mold out of plaster of Paris and I intend to use a 2 part foam for my project. I was thinking I needed something like that spray to get down in the details. I don't know if I can accomplish that with wax you're talking about. I'm assuming that if there isn't some sort of release in the detail places the foam will stick there?

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes with plaster make sure it’s totally dried out first. You can seal the plaster with shellac, then wax it .

Newbie1 likes this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You can use an artist brush to get the wax into crevices. Thin layer and let it dry.

Newbie1 likes this.
  6. I love the wax angle on this. But if you find it's just not conducive enough for whatever reason to reach those difficult creases, PAM cooking spray contains silicone which will work as a release. It's not as good as wax, as too much can give you "greasy" surfaces to pull from, so be careful if you use it.