1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My Experience With Dave ( Western Wildlife Art Studio )

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by Robert Baker, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Member

Hey Everyone!

Most of you know Dave from Western Wildlife Art Studio already. I however, hadn't had the pleasure until recently when I purchased a life size black bear from him. When we spoke on the phone Dave was kind enough to share some of his valuable knowledge with me about rehydrating the hide etc.

Because of his generosity sharing knowledge with me, I'm going to pass on a bit of my own with you (it's relevant since it directly involves the bear I purchased from Dave)

So this bear was delivered just two days after purchasing it from Dave by FedEx at 8am. I was headed home anyway so I brought it with me since that's where I play taxidermist in my off time. I get home to find the wife is still sleeping. She was up late working on a "birthday surprise". Wouldn't tell me what the bucket of glitter she had out was for but I digress. Now there's a comfortable chair sitting next to her craft table, a chair which she fell asleep in. I walk in, find her asleep, I'm holding this hide from a 250lb bear and I get an idea! You know that kind of idea your going to pay for later but you do it anyway because -- well, its funny? That's right, I quietly lay this bear on top of her craft table with the head staring at her and prop a paw up on her shoulder. With "my" surprise all set, I head into the kitchen to grab a snack and head back out to work. I guess my noise in the kitchen woke her (maybe by accident, maybe on purpose -- I can't confirm nor deny any statements at this time) because I hear a scream! Casually I walk in to see "what's going on". Well, as carefully as you think you played out your plan, it sometimes backfires.

She wakes up, jumps at the sight of the bear, knocks the bear and that stupid tub of glitter off the table in one shot. The glitter ends up all over the bear making it look like a care bear farted all over it. I'll spend the weekend out in the doghouse cleaning glitter out of my new bear.

Morale of the story -- Western Wildlife Art Studio is amazing to deal with. Honest prices, spot on shipping, fast, friendly service. Not in a rush to get you off the phone and takes the time to talk to and share knowledge with a budding taxidermist. Oh, and don't play a prank on your wife when she sits near a tub of glitter.

Thank you Dave!

Robert

socalmountainman likes this.
  2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Been buying replacement capes from Dave since he lived down the road from me in Southern California! Terrific guy!

Robert Baker and Westcoast like this.

3. Westcoast

Westcoast Member

Dave is a no bullshit kind of guy, dealing with him in my experience has always been good. I’m glad others also see the value in that.

Robert Baker likes this.
  4. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Dave's one of the best!

Robert Baker likes this.
  5. Western Wildlife Art Studio

Western Wildlife Art Studio STUDIO PHONE (406) 356-2100

Thank you for the feedback guys. Happy to be of service to you all.

Robert Baker likes this.
  6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

LOL. Hello, I received my hide. Upon inspection, it seems to be a lot more sparkly that it did in your photos. .....

Borrow the wife's hair dryer and use it with no heat .. or do you own a leaf blower?

Robert Baker likes this.
  7. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Member

lol Sea Wolf.. Never thought of a leaf blower.. As it turned it, I got home she was laughing about it and she cleaned all the glitter out of it for me. All ended well.. =)

Robert

8. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Member

2nd order from Dave and yet another beautiful hide. Wet tanned, all the prep work is done. I'm getting spoiled.

From the guys I've bought from on here I don't get what all this fuss is about when it comes to skinning/fleshing/turning/splitting/thinning etc.. Don't all hides come with all that done already? :)

Thanks Dave!!

Robert