1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Warren's Fish Blanks

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by HortonWildman, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Easy to sped that to make them look right. I buy a vast majority raw. Not sure what a paint by numbers blank is Clew. I look at it this way. You can put a smokin paint job on a shit blank and all you did was put lipstick on a pig. Put a ok paint job on a smokin blank ( good anatomy, all the scales there, no dents/ flat spots) and it will look good. Combine the great blank and a good paint job and your finished product comes out that much better.

HortonWildman likes this.
  2. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Let's return to the beginning. This is NOT a customer fish. So, what are the options.

1. Give up on a replica of this "very special fish to me" because the blank MAY require a lot of work (have we asked for a photo of a blank or mold from the supplier?).

2. Put the time and work into the blank

3. Hire someone who can competently finish less than desireable blanks if the blank is determined to be of that status

4. Scratch build a replica

5. Hire a someone who can competently scratch build a replica

6. Find a different blank if possible.

7. Other, something that I haven't thought of

All this talk about good vs crap replicas is fine for product reviews. We all want the best for our money. Market availability dictates some terms. For commercial taxidermists, there are factors that may be weighed against profitability in deciding how to move forward or not.

For clients cost and quality are factors that may be considered in the decision on how to move forward or not.

If it's important enough to you, there are enough avenues to get this done.

BTW, I've seen killer work done on replicas that are less than desireable, both with extensive rework of the blank and minimum prep as well.

A killer paint job CAN save the day, IMO, in many scenarios.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    HortonWildman, Mudbat and 3bears like this.

3. Warren's has no photos of their grass carp forms to send (I called).....but on a side note -- I caught a 40 pounder the other day, and Starfish has a form that should fit the bill.

Horton

4. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Deja vu

HortonWildman likes this.