1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounted Canadian Goose

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by triggertimetaxidermy, Jul 12, 2020.

1. triggertimetaxidermy

triggertimetaxidermy New Member

I mounted this very large goose and thought I had got all the fat & de-greased it well (not my first one) but after mounting and positioning. When I came back after several days of drying my wife noticed grease spots when she was grooming the feathers. We have tried the oil soaking pebbles/dust which we thought worked. She went to clean it up again and found another spot. Short of tearing it apart which I have never done and don't know if it can be done. What else can I do?

2. teal1

teal1 Active Member

You can try to keep soaking the spots with laquer thinners then drying it might work

3. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Apparently you did not remove all the fat and grease from the inside of the skin. It will continue to leach out, depending on the environment, until there is no more. The grease spots can be sometimes be removed by soaking the spots with solvents (acetone, laquer thinner etc) and than wiping with a paper towel. K2R works on these spots also. Pictures would help us help you also

magicmick likes this.
  4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

to solve the total problem you would have to tear it apart and start over again with removing all of the fat and cleaning and soaking the skin again which more than likely now would be impossible to do. Probably better to just try and clean the next one better. We learn through our mistakes. Sometimes our mistakes cannot be corrected at the moment such as yours but we can move on to the next bird. Good luck.

magicmick, msestak, drob and 2 others like this.
  5. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson New Member

I had this problem on a recent Scaup. Thought it was clean but some oil soaked through at the incision and left a greasy yellow residue. I wiped it down with paint thinner on a paper towel and even used a tooth brush like a comb to work it deep in the feathers. The key was to have a fresh clean paper towel right there to wipe the paint thinner and grease off before the thinner evaporates and leaves the grease on your feathers. The next day there was some more yellow showing but after a few days treating it like this it never came back and the customer hasn't reported any more grease coming through. I also blow dried the feathers after each treatment because they look flat and wet afterwards. Hope this helps!

magicmick and drob like this.
  6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

borax on the toothbrush helps

Zach Johnson and magicmick like this.
  7. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

That happening so early is a sure sign of continuing issue with your goose. Trash it, and improve your cleaning and washing

Wildthings likes this.
  8. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I hate greasy honkers to mount. Take it outside pour gas on it and throw a match on it.

Westcoast and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  9. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

This will get most of the grease problem!

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  10. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

I kinda like doing them, but I am very slow so it takes me all day to do one. I have done four this year with another one coming, and all of them have been sent my way by another taxidermist. The last one I did an underwing incision which takes much longer but the results are worth it, because I have no fear of leaving material in the joints or wrist that way and the secondary feathers are much easier to deal with if not separated from the bone.
    Now I just need to raise my price to make it worth the time....

magicmick likes this.
  11. Dave York

I hate the fleshing of them. I have a HD Dakota bird flesher that doesn’t slow down a bit. By the time I really get into it I’m in a vaporized cloud of goose grease. And the down side of that flesher is if you get it caught in the wheel you end up with an IKEA goose trying to assemble pieces with no instructions on where they go. I’ve done it and it’s not fun. Had one in 7 pieces. I finished it and then found another piece on the floor.

Wildthings likes this.
  12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

It will probably eventually stop bleeding grease eventually. No need to trash the mount. I’ve wiped oil off certain areas in waterfowl for months. Finally , it stops and the area dries. I wrap foam bodies with paper towels prior to sewing. This absorbs oil, and prevents it from bleeding onto the plumage.

Westcoast, magicmick and msestak like this.
  13. Dave York

Just put a small petcock in under the feathers. Every couple of days open it up to drain excess oil.

joeym likes this.
  14. byrdman

use borax when wheeling soaks up grease and helps "cut" the fat.... on ducks I wrap bodies but geese I use foam and on both I lay a folded 4 layer paper towel under the seam will doak up any oil that happens to drain down and helps keep things neat while sewing... although Ive never had bleeding from a properly cleaned skin... you can also hang bird upside down to dry this will let any oil run up under wings

15. byrdman

and its a " Canada " goose.... not canadien

Wildthings likes this.