1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Enclosure For Beetles

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Mmd2803, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Mmd2803

Mmd2803 New Member

Hello, new to the site, and new to Dermestid beetles. I have been doing my research, and am learning a lot. I have been told, and read that the beetles like complete darkness. That being said I have seen many beetle enclosures that are made from plexiglass. I have also recently read to place a box over the skull to be cleaned because they like the darkness. So the question is; does the enclosure need to be in complete darkness, or can I just cover what ever I place in it to be cleaned? Thank you

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have a small colony in a glass fish tank. They eat whatever I give them. I don't cover anything. Larger enclosures are covered and enclosed but maybe more dark because that is just the way they are set up. I don't think you need to cover anything actually. If they're hungry, they are going to eat regardless. I think if the lights are off in whatever room you have your set up in will be sufficient. Your biggest concern will be humidity, air circulation and mites (and other invaders).

3. Mmd2803

Mmd2803 New Member

Thank you for the response. My intent was to purchase a colony this past month, but as luck would have it, I had an old bag of chicken feed in the barn and a "wild" colony moved in. So I moved them into a tote, knowing they may have mites and not make it, but what do I have to lose? So far so good.
    I was given a dead head skull, and one a friend shot 2 years ago and left out for nature to clean. As I'm sure you know, they are dried out. I soaked them, cleaned as much off as I could, and spray them in the tote daily, but the bugs dont seem to want to mess with the dried meat.
    When there is dried meat and such on the skull, is it typical for them to not touch it? Is my next step to soak and pressure wash?
    Thanks for the help.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Here is my setup. I made a box from OSB, and coated it with fiberglass resin CFEB216D-31E0-4AA4-BECC-AC6D663B5604.jpeg A0928598-7EA8-4785-B0EF-8DF71264ECDD.jpeg

5. joeym

Dehumidifier, and my record keeping system 7FCB2A0B-6558-4A2E-9982-2909C82A9D89.jpeg C43FB93D-9176-4E54-A2C0-F4586997147E.jpeg

6. joeym

Front of building. This was originally built as a playhouse for my oldest son... 35 years ago! 70F2E646-DE02-41C6-8A8C-1C72302986A5.jpeg

7. Sea Wolf

Dermestid beetles do not eat chicken feed. No idea what you dragged home but it wasn't them. More than likely mealworms. What do the larva look like?

8. Sea Wolf

Joey, do you find that they can not climb the resin? Do they try and chew through it?

9. joeym

They do not climb it...If they do, they will become spider food, since I continually remove webs from the top of the box. However, every fall, I re-coat the bottom inside and out. They will chew through it. My beetle house is rittled by them. At some point, the floor will need to be replaced, since escapees have tunneled their way through it. I have an old chest freezer I could put in there...but the door to the building will need to be removed and widened.