1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bag Um

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by 13 point, Jul 14, 2020.

1. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

E4B252A2-22DF-4A3C-BF39-61274AFC6FFC.jpeg 2B4E03C6-252A-44FE-A1BD-E2B1769544BC.jpeg 45579714-39B3-4955-A2B8-60AA2AE6F27D.jpeg To the new bees, it’s been talked about before, but just to show I practice what I preach . See pics.
    You don’t want your mounted critter to dry to fast , slower is better . By bagging your mounts you can adjust and tweak up to 5 days .
    Day 1 : Mount and get facial details close. And bag
    Day 2 : Fine tune your mount and retuck lips ,tear ducts and nose and get your eyes the way you want them . Now take a towel and wipe your mount down with a little pressure in one direction, you will hear the little air bubbles pop as the hide makes contact with the form again , for any big air spots stab them with a bigger sewing needle. To release air and wipe again with towel. Your not trying to move the hide just making sure it is making full contact with the glue and form . Takes total of 15 mins maybe . Now rebag .

Day 3: do the same as day 2 but you will find your hide/cape will move less , wipe down with towel, now take a wire brush and groom hair patterns the way they lay naturally . Takes 5 mins . Rebag

Day 4 : do same as day 3 Rebag

Day 5 : take bag off for good , you can wire brush groom but probably don’t need to , it’s good till you finish it and send it out the door in 2 weeks total

2. drob

drob Active Member

Thankyou once again for taking the time out of your busy day to help make all of us better taxidermists!You are always there with answers and posts that are of tremendous help,and you help more than you will probably ever know!

13 point likes this.

3. 13 point

Thanks so much for the kind words, I enjoy helping, I remember when I was learning, no one would help unless you paid them , and even then it was only what they wanted you to know not all that they knew , they would always leave something out . I want to change that .

Robert Baker, ARUsher and Wildthings like this.
  4. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Member

Very helpful 13 point -- thank you!

Robert

5. ARUsher

ARUsher Active Member

Thank you!

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I had one bagged once, and the customer dropped by to take a sneak preview of his deer...he said..."Is it so damn ugly you had to put a sack over its head"...LOL!

7. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Member

I've got to remember that one Joe. Good one.

Robert

8. 13 point

I’ve had that question ask to me a many of time lol . I say not ugly just high tech chit I don’t want anyone to see . Lol Trade secrets

Westcoast, tem, ARUsher and 2 others like this.
  9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Thank you for this advice! One of the problems I had as a newbee was to want to do the finish work the next weekend. It was torture waiting 3 weeks or more for it to fully dry. This advice is very important to understand. Taxidermy takes patience with a capitol P.

joeym likes this.
  10. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Active Member

Thank you 13 point!