1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Top Online Course?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Eddiem0nster, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Eddiem0nster

Eddiem0nster New Member

I'll keep it short. I'm looking for the best all-around teaching platform that is web-based that covers everything from tanning hides, full mounts, big game, birds, fish, painting. It's hard to know the value of what you're getting. Thank you in advance.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Your not it’s that simple cause to get those folks together is going to be hard and expensive

Eddiem0nster likes this.

3. Eddiem0nster

Eddiem0nster New Member

Thanks, Frank, would you have a recommendation? I have my gi/bill so I could use it to go a school, I just figured this something I could teach myself with the right learning tools. I learn well by watching and then doing.

4. Westcoast

Westcoast Member

Just buy specific training videos for a specific subject. Master that then move to another. The only issue is that you are going to need to buy some basic tools to complete whatever you are working on. If you go to a school, you’ll learn by using whatever tools they use. Which is fine but you’ll still need to buy your own eventually anyway. I Personally will always recommend going to school because I went after a few years of learning on my own and it catapulted the quality of my work. I’m not sure which schools do or don’t take a GI bill.

5. Eddiem0nster

Eddiem0nster New Member

Ok, yeah I have a taxidermist in the family I can always bounce off of. Just looking for a place to get started. I'll start looking, I'm able to find the qualified list through the VA online, I would just want something 4 weeks max since I only have 30 days left on my gi/bill and don't want to pay out of pocket for lodging since this is starting as hobby then moving forward.

6. Westcoast

Westcoast Member

Look into Artistic School of taxidermy, the instructor is Troy Rose. That might be right up your alley.

pir^2h and Eddiem0nster like this.
  7. Eddiem0nster

Eddiem0nster New Member

I think I might just stick to the instructional videos off Mackenzie.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Web based on line courses for me are Stehlings taxidermy on line courses. Give them a try. I think it's about $60 a course and it is very in-depth and nothing is is left out. It has tool lists and such. They have courses on tanning and shaving, turkeys, fur bearers, birds, deer, and I think fish. It is worth looking into. I have done the turkey course and have seen the previews of the other courses.

Westcoast and Eddiem0nster like this.
  9. Eddiem0nster

Eddiem0nster New Member

thank you, I already pulled the trigger on some dvds on bear mounts, caribou, whitetail. I appreciate the reference though. A taxidermist I know pretty much told me to go that route over online and he could walk me through stuff via facetime when I need it.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

The thing about DVDs is, they are physical copies you can reference any time. On line courses on the other hand, although nice, you are at the mercy of the computer and if the company goes under, where does your course go? Under also? I prefer DVDs over on line courses, however, that turkey course really did help me out on a few things.

Eddiem0nster likes this.
  11. Eddiem0nster

Eddiem0nster New Member

that's a good perspective, as far as buying the videos off Mackenzie, i just bought the ones above, for the most part is there anyone specifically better than the other? I looks like a lot of videos on the same animal but maybe showing a different style. The dvds add up, I got 5 for 160.

12. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

The school I went to closed up due to government not paying up lol
    So I don’t know off hand but if you have a OVR ( occupation vocational rehabilitation) by you , call them.

Eddiem0nster likes this.
  13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I like Taxidermy Training Unlimited a lot. I have quit a few from them as well as Research Mannikins.

Eddiem0nster likes this.
  14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

One video you have to get is Mounting A Whitetail A to Z with Rick Carter. You just have to.

Eddiem0nster likes this.
  15. Eddiem0nster

Eddiem0nster New Member

Cool, looking them up now

16. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Member

One thing to point out and I own about 40 DVD's purchased from both McKenzie and Second 2 Nature. MOST of those videos, although on a DVD, are VHS transfers and are not anywhere close to DVD quality. A few of the ones I recently got in are barely watchable vhs quality but the content is there. Just saying this so you don't expect DVD quality when you order your DVDs.

Between those DVD instructional videos and the vast wealth of information from some of the helpful professionals on this forum you'll be off to a good start.

Robert

Eddiem0nster likes this.
  17. Eddiem0nster

Eddiem0nster New Member

Anything you want to part with? Yeah, that's why I originally was looking for something online course wise, more updated content. As far as fish goes, my uncle says the money is in the skin mounts and majority of the crop of people want a skin mount vs. replicas. What's your take on this? FYI, I plan on moving to Alaska so I'm looking at buying videos on those species.

Robert Baker likes this.
  18. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Member

I'm quite the beginner myself and know nothing about mounting fish at all at this point. In fact there isn't much I can comment on except the quality of DVDs and the fact that, if your polite and your open to suggestions the guys and gals on this site will try and help you the best they know how. You just have to ask.

Best of luck in your endeavor!

Robert

Frank E. Kotula and Eddiem0nster like this.
  19. Eddiem0nster

Eddiem0nster New Member

That's fair, Thank you, Robert.

Robert Baker likes this.
  20. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Stehling Brothers offer an online video course that covers Birds, Fish and Gameheads. Their course on Turkeys has some invaluable information on mounting and, especially grooming, a full-strut I have never seen anywhere else and I have six turkey DVD's! You can purchase the individual downloads or become a monthly subscriber which gives you access to ALL of the content. I was a member for almost a year. For more info, just PM me. Joe
    https://taxidermyinsider.com/

Eddiem0nster likes this.