1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Are The Stamped Holes In Animal Furs ? Do They Indicate Species ?

Discussion in 'Training' started by Massivehaunting, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Massivehaunting

Massivehaunting New Member

I understand the tanning companies stamp holes into the furs but do they have meaning ? I’ve seen some numbers but I have a few pelts with letters
    new to the forum and I apologize if this question is not meant for this specific board

2. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

It’s just how they keep record of the skin.

Massivehaunting likes this.

3. Massivehaunting

I see thanks can you identify a possible cougar pelt ? Because I had a buddy give it to me as a gift I don’t live in New York or California he’s driving to give it to me soon
    It’s only a big patch I don’t see the black stripe but I do see some white at the edges it’s got a thick skin to it

4. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

If you have a picture then we can likely identify it. Cougars do not have a black stripe on them at all.

5. Massivehaunting

Forgive me I mean the light brown stripe they seem to have going down the back I saw some pictures online
    I will have the photos by tomorrow
    Thank for for reading my message and getting back to me I appreciate it have a nice evening

Robert Baker and Rausch like this.
  6. Massivehaunting

Ok I have the skin today my buddy got it from a auction he says it might just be a rabbit but I thought it looked like a cougar because of the thicker skin I know rabbit skins are thin

Attached Files:

7. Kendall

Kendall Active Member

Looks like a rabbit to me. Some do have thicker skin.

8. Massivehaunting

Thanks !

9. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

image.jpg As stated it’s the tannerys code and your customer number with that tannery , it normally doesn’t identify what it is , just that it’s yours , here is how it’s read basically. Some do have letter and number shaped stamps but most are just straight line punches

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Massivehaunting likes this.
  10. Massivehaunting

Thanks I didn’t know that this does let me know the animal was hunted and processed through a tannery
    Instead of ranch/raised animals for fur