1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Giving It Up (sort Of)

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by 15pt, Jul 21, 2020.

1. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    Well a little while back I made the comment that I was gonna only do shoulder mounts starting this year due to profit of deer processing vs taxidermy. Well this past week I decided I was ready to retire from Taxidermy due to taking a beating this year from deadbeats not picking deer up. (Worst year ever in 30 yrs). Well after a familly discussion I'm gonna raise my shoulder mount price to $700 with an$400 deposit. Which in the area I'm in is the same as retiring!!!!

Richard C, msestak, kurt and 4 others like this.
  2. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Good decision 15pt, if you can't make good money at it then its just going to make you mad. Life is too short to put up with those kind of customers. There are a lot of ways to make a living in the world.

msestak and kurt like this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Right on! Be prepared for an increase of customers.

James Marsico and msestak like this.
  4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Best move you will have ever made , I learned a long time ago if you don’t really want to do it raise the price . You will get less but at the same time you will make the same money doing half the work. Congrats on a great decision

5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

That will definitely get rid of the price shoppers! Like 13 point said, less work, same income (maybe more!).

msestak likes this.
  6. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    I wont get very much business, I already know that. The bussiness I got this past year was some of the worst dead beats ever. Don't get me wrong I still get stuck with a bunch of deer meat on the processing side, but always get my money from others that want it. Matter of fact have a waiting list. Nobody really wants a 90 inch 8pt that somebody else killed.

msestak and Lance.G like this.
  7. 13 point

That’s an easy fix , you get a list going of remounts , you give them 30 days to pk up , at that time you open top of deer unscrew 1 rack set the remount rack in sew it up and out the door it goes . When first guy finally shows up you hand him his rack and tell him you abandoned mount after the 30 days , you keep his deposit and charge the remount customers full price for a mount . Trust me when the word gets out that you won’t store and wait for anyone , that problem will stop .

msestak likes this.
  8. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    I've already done that with a few that needed capes anyway, but I'm not giving the customer back their rack.

pir^2h and msestak like this.
  9. 13 point

Don’t blame you there either, I just don’t want them laying around and having to keep them on my state license book for DNR. As you stated there usually small anyway. I have cut a few up for dog bones lol

msestak likes this.
  10. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I just checked on pricing for a new F250 Super Duty in Alabama.... $78,000. It turns out, it's the same price as here in California. Someone is buying them in Alabama. M y point is, never be afraid to raise your price! Will you lose customers? Yes. They will go down the road to the $500 guy. You will filter out the cheap Ba$tard$ and start getting the quality guys that don't mind your price and love your work. I have the same problem here. I do fewer pieces and make more money and have time for vacation. I also just got another remount to do from the guy down road.....
    Screenshot (16).png

kurt, msestak and Richard C like this.
  11. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    You wont find a $500 guy anywhere near here. I've checked with 8 taxidermist within 125 miles of me and the highest price is $375 with average of $300. One guy is charging $280 and has been for 25 yrs. Crazy thing is his work is great.

msestak likes this.
  12. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

went from 450.00 down to 125.00 last year... just did one ... for my nephew

socalmountainman and msestak like this.
  13. Dennis Duffy

Dennis Duffy Active Member

Isn't it best to take a deposit upon the customer dropping off the specimen and then getting another percentage before ordering the supplies and mounting of the specimen and a very small percentage at time of pick-up. This way you have the work almost completely paid for before they even pick up their animal.

msestak likes this.
  14. 13 point

Unless you have a contact that states all that and the client agrees , understands and signs it , you could still have issues as in most states , you can legally only require half of the total upon drop off or the date of agreement, so you must be careful

socalmountainman and msestak like this.
  15. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

holy $hit your getting $700 for a shoulder mount whitetail, I thought $400 was high.

msestak likes this.
  16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

My customer flow never changed, no matter how much I raised my prices. They just kept coming in and coming back.

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I was getting $700 like 4 years ago.

18. Dannynewman

Man I need to move where you guys are doing business.

msestak likes this.
  19. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    Danny it's more than likely I wont mount a deer all next season and that's fine. Kind of the same concept I have on hogs. $400 for the area I'm in is high also.

msestak and Dannynewman like this.
  20. Dannynewman

I see, hey good luck to you tho I hope you do get $700 a head.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    msestak likes this.